Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
16x48 intex ultra
Need some ideas to deter a mostly outside dog from chewing. We are going to build a box for filter this year but hoses and straps around bottom are not safe. This is the 2nd pool she has demolished [emoji22] she is a 40 lb sherpherd husky mix. Though about going a ft out from pool and putting up chicken wire as deterent as money is tight

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Tie it to a tree or give it a runner away from the pool.

I think a bitter spray i think she would eat it she's a spaz. Really looking for something to put around pool

16x48 intex ultra with intex 1500 gph pump

I'll check that out. I was thinking of doing a hog wire or chicken wire with t post about a ft out but im not sure

With dogs it really is all about focusing their attention on something else; something "more fun" for them to play with. Redirection.
If she is left outside, unsupervised and isn't redirected the result will always be the same. Fussing at her afterwards is just confusing to her and she will not learn from that. Not sure if you have fussed, but in order to make a change you need to catch her in the act and redirect her.

Additionally Shepherd/ Husky is a larger dog and that means if she isn't exercised/ stimulated ~ she will find ways to do that for herself and right now your pool holds her attention.

Exercise is key ~ an exercised dog "behaves better" because they don't have to find mischief to do it themselves.
I would absolutely implement dog friendly items in the back yard to capture her attention. Toys she has to work at to get a treat out of, a hanging tire (I know you said you didn't have trees but one could be hung with a bracket)~ some dogs go absolutely crazy for those. Lots of options in that area, you'll need to explore them and see what kind of activity she gravitates towards aside from attacking the pool.

Redirection, that will be the key.

If you are not walking the dog and you may well be, you didn't make mention, but if you are not walking/exercising her you will be totally amazed at what a half hour a day/evening walk will do.
That may not be an option ~ so her exercise will come from outside in the area, she needs activity; approved activity. You redirecting her when she gets near the pool and staying on top of the situation (don't leave her out unsupervised until she has learned not to monkey with it.

When she goes near it you tell her No! (pick any word if you don't want to yell No at her, it can be banana the word itself isn't important, using the same word is along with redirecting her to an item she is permitted to play with.
So get a few doggy items that are hers ~ doesn't have to be "spendy" an old tire, make a tug of war apparatus with some old rope, a Kong that you burry a treat in.

She needs exercise and she needs stuff out there that is hers to enjoy and she'll need you to teach her the Pool is no but her stuff is a Yes and fun.
A little bit of consistency & redirection will solve the problem, but you will have to watch her around that pool until she learns.

Additionally I do not believe you will stop her if she really wants to get at that pool with Chicken Wire. A determined dog of any size most likely will not be able to be deterred by chicken wire.

With dogs there really isn't a "quick fix" folks get so discouraged and think their dog is untrainable, but it is usually never the dog that is untrainable ~ it's the person who doesn't want to take the time with the consistency to show the dog what is acceptable behavior and what is not.

I agree with you. I kind of gave up on training her because she was so unfocused and spastic. We do go out and throw the ball. Walking her where i live is next to impossible. I live in country and my neighbours let their dogs run wild and as soon as they see my dogs they go after them. Even if im trying to get one in the car to vet. I think we will try toys again. I had removed them bc they were causing fights between 2 of my dogs. I will forgo the chicken wire build the box for filter and maybe just wrap exposed hoses in wire bc those were the main target .wish i had a tree to do the tire thing she would love that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure how helpful this would be, but I used to have a dog who loved to chew my hoses as well. Putting the hoses behind this fencing seemed to help. Just a suggestion!

View attachment 50084
I may see if hubby can build a bigger box to house filter and hoses but that sure would be big lol like 10 ft. Great suggestion.

When you can't get out there and walk you have options too so don't be discouraged.
Even something as simple as bubbles ~ making bubbles with dish soap and wand for her to chase will do the trick.
Tie one of her toys to a rope and pull it through the yard for her to chase.

You could fashion a tri-pod for the tire swing. Hold it in with quikrete hang the tire. Two week later take the tire down and hang a ball. One of those balls we used to bounce on as kids with the handle are great to hang for a dog to play with ~ they love them. A couple pipes you could probably pick up for free on craigslist ~ you could make a tripod no problem at all for pennies.

Not sure how old she is but if she was unfocused the motivator you were using may not have been her it. You can usually get a dog to respond to food, even dogs that someone will claim is not food motivated can be motivated by food, you just have to find their "it".

It's never too late, I do promise you that. I right now have a dog that was going to be put down because he was food aggressive, destructive, mean, didn't like children, couldn't be potty trained, could not get along with people or animals. That simply wasn't the case with him. It took a bit of work, and when I say a bit he had to learn to trust me once he did, he turned on a dime, lives with me and my young daughter, another dog, 3 cats. He is a total love bug, who potties outside in his spot, shares food and water bowls with my other dog and he has yet to destroy anything. Learning the ropes he had to learn to trust and then learn from me what I expected from him. Consistency will get anything out of a dog you need. You just have to dedicate yourself to it for a small amount of time for the payoff of a life time. Think of it as the SLAM Program for dogs. :)

Def. nix the chicken wire. PVP Pipe may work nicely to cover those hoses. I do believe the dog will still get to the hose covered in wire if she wants it bad enough.

Yes. I have to admit I've been lazy when it came to her. Training was a pain in the rear and she is very food motivated so much that you cant keep her off you. I gave up out of frustration. Pvc sounds good. We will Definately give her more things to do

No problem at all and I wasn't criticizing ~ just trying to offer some cost effective ideas that may help and to also let you know ~ You can teach and Old Dog New Tricks.

And I am hopeful you can manage to keep her and the pool in the backyard peacefully :)

Best of Luck with her and the pool, I do hope you'll keep us posted as to how you arranged things and how she is doing.

I didn't feel you were! I was originally hoping to just protect the pool and not deal with the real problem but occupying and training seems to be the way to go. She is a year old now so maybe it will be eaiser

Both of her lines the shepherd and the husky are really intelligent ~ they are two breeds that like to learn. Husky can be stubborn though, but with her on her way to getting out of puppyhood, the wanting to learn (with a motivator) may bump ahead of the stubborn streak that has been dominating so far ~ she may work with you a bit better. Popcorn is sometimes really good for that, a lot of dogs really like it and don't have access to it so it is a special treat and it's priced right.

With a little bit from you and a little bit of help with her aging I sure hope things turn around quickly. I'll bet she is a beautiful dog being a cross between those two breeds, both are gorgeous on their own ~ so I can't even imagine how pretty she is.

45161a60f583c04081e4a356a9d4f0c5.jpg

I think you're right

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.