jandy epump wont start

Jun 12, 2016
Richmon, VA
15,000 gal fiberglass pool, 1.5hp jandy epump, jandy aqualink pda, jandy swg, de filter, led lights, shear decents

I had the pool installed about 6 years ago. Had issues the first year with the swg sensors keep burning out... turn out the pb installed the jep controller but no timer for the swg so the swg was always on/always. they then installed the aqualink pda so that the swg would shut off when the filter was off.., so I think it worked fine the first year, but for a while now, the pda loses the date time memory, and really screws up everything. I just changed the 9v battery about 2 weeks ago, and programed the pump to run at night. The first 6-7 days, no issues. Then when i was vacuming during a hot day, the pump/power just stopped. I checked all the wires with a voltmeter, all checked out fine. I turned the breakers off then on a few times, and eventually got the system back up to respond and reprogrammed everything.
since then ive lost the date time a couple more times. (Has kinda been an ongoing issue since about a year after it was installed (out of warranty).. i kind live with it, try to trouble shoot it when i have time.) I fear its the pc board that is faulty.
Anyway, today, we had the filter running for a while, later in the day we noticed, the leds had turned on and the pump was off, so i turned on the pda, and to no surprise the date/time was reset, as wall as reset all the relay/jva assignments. This time when i opened the breaker panel, 1 of the filter fuses had been tripped. So i reset the breaker, programed the pda again... but this time, the pump will not come on via the pda or in service mode. The relay clicks, i am getting 240v at the pump connection. The green light on the epump comes on. The pda says the pump is on.. but its not working. i fear the pump is now broken. (There was water and no air in the pump, so it didnt run dry.) - but it was pretty hot and sunny here. The air temp sensor had read 104, but according to my phone the temp was 93. But i am wondering if the electronics inside the aqualink is getting too hot from the sun?
Tomorrow i will replace the 9v, but i dont think that will help since the system acts as if everything is running fine... its the pump that will not turn on.
any suggestions of other things to check? Or reasons whythis happened?

Not being out by the pool equipment, I do not think I have one of those. I have a silver box ( cant remember what it says on it, but I THINK the metal box I am thinking of is the Junction box for my LED lights.)

However, my area is not subject to Brown outs... voltage spikes/lightening is possible, but when it happened it was blue sunny skies.. just really hot. I was hoping the Motor might have an overheat shut off or something? (the pump wasnt really working hard -only at 1750 RPMS, but due to the Sun beating down making it seem hot? ( like I mentioned the air sensor which is in the shade read 104 degrees.... maybe the motore was even hotter in sunlight ?
Also wouldnt a voltage spike of any kind trip mulitple breakers for the pool equip, fry the circuit board (which seems to be working fine), and trip at least one of the breakers in my house?

1 other thing I forgot to mention, is the Circuit Breaker trip switch, is actually (2) 20s or (4) 20s together ( Im not sure how one would read it, but imagine (2) of these next to each other ( https://amzn.com/B000SL009W ) with a loose metal bracket around all four switches. ( I dont think the middle 2 are actually in use, since when I opened the breaker box to test, I only saw wires coming from the 2 outer most switches.)
When the breaker was tripped, only the bottom most breaker was tripped, and the bracket is too flimsy /loose and didnt trip the other 3.... could this have cause further damage?

But overall... does it sound like my motor is dead?... I am fairly mechanical... can it be repaired ( parts attainable, what part would have broke?)
I am just hoping that I do not now need to buy a new motor and a new Circuit board, And did I mention my Pool is only 6 years old !

I am HOPING I got out there after work, I turn the breakers on and everything works... But I am doubtful... any look for any other suggestions to get my filter running again.

SOLVED !!

After pulling off the Motors' Speed Drive cover, I disconnected the 3 wires between the motor and the Speed Drive electronics. I could not get any voltage readings on any of the wires after they went thru the motor electronics. So I first thought... well the motor might still be good, but the electronics before the motor were shot.. and wondered if they even sold just the electronic speed drive part. Then looking at the DIP switches within the motor housing, I wondered if the Aqualink forgot what pump type / pump number... So I turned on the PDA, check the system settings and sure enough, the pump 1 - was "not installed", so I simply selected filter pump in the pda, and made sure all the other pump settings were correct. I then turned on the pump and she fired right up!
Turns out that the tripped breaker not only reset the date & time on the PDA but also forgot everything about the pump.
Glad it was an Easy Fix! - I really didnt want to drop $ 1k on a new pump.

I will have to look into that surge protector, since I do not have one of those. The box I was thinking about was the LED transformer box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.