Pump Housing Blew-but why?

Jul 29, 2014
LaGrange, KY
Last night my husband added water to the pool. Realizing he overfilled, he turned in the backwash to let the water out. He was working in the dark and thinks he turned something too quickly in possibly the wrong direction, but he heard loud pressure rising and the pub housing/body totally cracked-and that is pretty thick plastic. It is a Jandy pump body.

Any ideas what happened? This is an inground pool, and we have only been in the house for about a year and half. Pool is 9 years old. Could the plastic have been dry and cracked already? I just want to make sure we aren't missing a larger issue.:shock:

It's possible he dead headed the pump while it was running, that can cause a water hammer strong enough to break the pump body. I would suggest not turning the spider valve while the pump is running in the future.

What ever valve it was that was turned could also have been damaged but that's hard to tell. It would be worth looking it over carefully for cracks or other signs of damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.