Should I replace my pump and filter?

May 22, 2014
Newmanstown PA
Hello everyone. I tried to read through the forums before posting, but I still couldn't completely get my head wrapped around square footage, GMP, etc, etc. About 6 years ago my wife and I purchased a 24' round above-ground which is approximately 54" high. The sales associate at Namco (probably a sin to say that name - haha) up-sold us on a 2-stage 1.5 hp Proline SKP7115H pump with cartridge filter system.

Since owning our pool it's maybe been open 3 seasons only because I deploy a lot or did. Retirement soon!!! One thing that I've noticed while owning and maintaining the pool is that it's been a PITA. I've learned little secrets here in there like the BBB method, which helped, but it still seemed like we were taking our filter (non DE) out and cleaning it every week. In doing so the o-ring on the filter top would stretch and we had to replace that sucker every other cleaning it seemed like. And yes I used a silicon base and a few special pool o-ring products with no luck.

From what I'm reading it seems that our pump may be too large for the pool and may be the problem. In understanding this I've been looking at Hayward pumps and filter systems since they have good reviews. Our setup is literally right next to the pool and both inlet and outlet of the pump and filter system are connected by standard 5' hoses. Looking on Hayward's site they seem to only have one above-ground filter (non DE) setup; the C500. If I understand some of what I've read on efficiency of square footage, and I don't think I do, then the C500 filter setup rated at 75 sqft is too small and an in-ground model such as the C751 (75 sqft) and C900 (90 sqft) would be more ideal. Is this correct? If not could someone please better explain this to me please? I'm hoping that by replacing the filter system my over-all costs will go down. I'm starting to think my Proline filter system from Namco is junk.

As far as the pump goes should I replace the Proline pump as well or should we only use the low speed which I'm guessing is around 3/4 hp? Eventually I would like to move the pump and filter 15' from the pool and connect it all with PVC piping. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I posted two pictures below showing my setup. Regardless the filter system has to go. I'm tired of replacing that big o-ring all time because it stretches causing the system to leak.

Also, if anyone is near the Newmanstown PA 17073, area that works on pools or is extremely handy let me know. I wont be home for a few weeks and am looking for someone to open and clean the pool so I can just come home and enjoy it. My wife said the cover ripped (as usual) and there's a green monster in there =)

Thanks in advance everyone.
-Judd

1.jpg
2.jpg

Hi, welcome to TFP! As long as the pump is working go ahead and keep using it. Run it on low for filtering and use high speed when you vacuum. You may want to consider a sand filter, 300lbs or larger for your next filter. They are the easiest to care for.

Thanks for the quick response! I thought about a sand filter because I heard they were easier and the sand lasts anywhere between 3-5 years. I personally only vacuumed my pool the first season. I stopped because the suction was too strong and the liner pulled up a bit. After that I purchased a Pool Rover Jr and that usually cleans debris fairly well.

I wonder what the service factor is on your pump. If it is an uprated pump it may actually perform more like a 2 hp pump. If it is pulling up the liner then you are right to keep it on low speed!

As for sand, it is already hundreds of years old. It may get gunky in the filter, but it doesn't wear out! All you have to do is open up the top of the filter and give the sand a good deep cleaning with a running water hose. It is a simple but wet, messy process that only needs to be done every couple of years. Less than that if your pool never get algae! We have instructions on how to deep clean the sand filter if you ever need them.

Just for your info, sand lasts hundreds of thousands of years, not 5. A simple cleaning may be needed every 5 or so years if you really abuse it, but sand lasts forever.

Thanks Zea. If I can get a combo for a decent price I will and I'll be sure to get the 1hp. If not I'm sure my 1 1/2 will suffice. You recommended a 300lb sand filter, but I see you use a 150lb and your pool is 3' smaller than mine. Is there a particular reason you advised that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.