Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I noticed the garden hose that I used to fill my pool gives off a terrible smell when dispensing hot water after it has been sitting in the sun. Also, I tasted just a bit of it and could tell the garden hose taste was present. This of course is only when the hot water from the sun is in the hose that has been sitting there. I had never really thought about this, but should I be concerned about filling my pool with this hose? I would like to think that after the water has run through the pool and displaced all of the hot water, that any dangerous chemicals would be removed or at least reduced to a safe level? I am concerned of course because my grandchildren swim in the pool. Does anybody have any insight on this? I'm probably just being paranoid, but would like to know everybody's thoughts on this. Now of course, while swimming I keep thinking I can have a strange taste, but I'm thinking is just from the salt addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some hoses do release chemicals that you would not want to drink (this is why there are special hoses used for drinking water). Problem is worse for the hot stagnant water (like how you should not drink bottle water that has sat in a hot car).

I think if you turn the hose and and water the grass until the stagnant water out, then you would not really be adding much of anything to the pool.

What else would you fill your pool with exactly?

They make hoses that are chemical and lead free that are safe for drinking from, the hose I used is not such. These chemical free hoses are common, the one I used came with the house, wish I would not used it but I am hoping that once the water ran through it that it was good water coming out. If I was doing it over, I would have made sure the hose was hazard free. You can buy them anywhere. Hoping someone here would have some insight.

If you are that concerned, get a hose that os safe for drinking from.

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

I fully intend on doing that, my question is the water in my pool currently, is it safe?

While the quart or so of water that was setting in the hose may have some chemical contaminants in it, by the time that is diluted into thousands of gallons of water, it's of no concern. That is of course assuming that your swimming pool is not your primary source of all drinking water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everybody, I figured after the contaminated water was displaced the ensuing water would be fine. Just wanted verification for peace of mind. I always want to be sure I'm not doing anything that would put harm to my grandchildren.

They make hoses that are chemical and lead free that are safe for drinking from, the hose I used is not such. These chemical free hoses are common, the one I used came with the house, wish I would not used it but I am hoping that once the water ran through it that it was good water coming out. If I was doing it over, I would have made sure the hose was hazard free. You can buy them anywhere. Hoping someone here would have some insight.

There's no such thing as chemical free. Even you are a mix of carbon and hydrogen.

- - - Updated - - -

While the quart or so of water that was setting in the hose may have some chemical contaminants in it, by the time that is diluted into thousands of gallons of water, it's of no concern. That is of course assuming that your swimming pool is not your primary source of all drinking water.

Drinking stagnant hose water that has been out in the sun? Yum! :)

There's no such thing as chemical free. Even you are a mix of carbon and hydrogen.

- - - Updated - - -

Drinking stagnant hose water that has been out in the sun? Yum! :)

I think what he meant to say was hoses that do not leach as many chemicals as your standard garden hose. But point is well made - we are all a bunch of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen(?) and carbon, with some other trace elements to make up the rest...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.