Newly Filled pool with town water

May 24, 2012
18-20k gallon gunite pool with fiberglass walls.

Brand new k2006 test kit numbers -

FC - 1.6
CC - .2
pH - 7.6
Alk - 80
CH - 60
CYA - 0

The water is clear but is slight yellow-brownish (see pics). I know I have to raise my CH to between 250-300 and I'd like my CYA in the 40-50 range.

I did scrub and vacuum the pool.

What should my next step be? Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• pool 4.jpg
    pool 4.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 32
  • pool 3.jpg
    pool 3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 33
Hmmm....what an interesting color! Are you sure you don't have metals in the water? Did you put anything in there like algaecide or other potion?

You need to raise your CYA to appropriate levels and your FC first- Pool School - Recommended Levels

I would recommend using bleach right off to give it that immediate punch of chlorine that it needs.

Then you can work on the CH.

And if the color remains, take a sample to the pool store and ask them to test for metals.

Hmmm....what an interesting color! Are you sure you don't have metals in the water? Did you put anything in there like algaecide or other potion?

You need to raise your CYA to appropriate levels and your FC first- Pool School - Recommended Levels

I would recommend using bleach right off to give it that immediate punch of chlorine that it needs.

Then you can work on the CH.

And if the color remains, take a sample to the pool store and ask them to test for metals.

Yes, I did put in some algaecide as well as a Stain & Scale control to help prevent metallic stains.

When initially filled with town water, it was a green color until I added the Stain & scale, as well as 4 bags of shock. The water seemed to clear after that
but then after I had opened and closed the main + skimmer lines to get the appropriate skimmer suction correct, the water immediately turned green and then this dark brown but was still clear. I added some bleach which seemed to change the color to a lighter brown/yellowish tint where it lists now.

Note - we did not open the pool at all last year so there may have been some remnants lingering in the main/skimmer line that found its way
back into the pool when I opened/closed those lines.

Let's just hope it's tannic acid from some leaves that have been rotting into compost, and not metals. But if it was greenish before things got circulating, that seems unlikely. Sometimes the green goes away on its own. You can hasten the process by layering paper towels inside the skimmer basket. Or some polyester pillow/quilt batting if you have any scraps laying around with your craft supplies. A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.

CYA is easy.. plug numbers into poolmath and measure out the appropriate amounts into some socks. Since the skimmer will be full of paper towels, you'll want to suspend them in front of the returns.
attachment.php

And as a point of interest... when you test FC and CC, use only 10 ml of water and one scoop of powder and count each drop as .5. It's accurate enough for us and saves a lot of reagents.

If you need more information on what chemical does what and how to add it: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to figure quantities is explained in Pool School - PoolMath Take a minute to read that. There are features in poolmath you might miss if you jump straight into it.

Let's just hope it's tannic acid from some leaves that have been rotting into compost, and not metals. But if it was greenish before things got circulating, that seems unlikely. Sometimes the green goes away on its own. You can hasten the process by layering paper towels inside the skimmer basket. Or some polyester pillow/quilt batting if you have any scraps laying around with your craft supplies. A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.

CYA is easy.. plug numbers into poolmath and measure out the appropriate amounts into some socks. Since the skimmer will be full of paper towels, you'll want to suspend them in front of the returns.
attachment.php

And as a point of interest... when you test FC and CC, use only 10 ml of water and one scoop of powder and count each drop as .5. It's accurate enough for us and saves a lot of reagents.

If you need more information on what chemical does what and how to add it: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to figure quantities is explained in Pool School - PoolMath Take a minute to read that. There are features in poolmath you might miss if you jump straight into it.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your great advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.