Stabilizer Question

Sallie

May 16, 2008
Columbia, SC
I am in the process of adding stabilizer to my pool. It gets full sun most of the day, and I use bleach only. I've put it in the skimmer in some pantyhose. I read somewhere to check CYA level in 5 days. Here are my questions:
(1) What level should I shoot for?
(2) How soon can I backwash?
(3) How often should I check CYA levels? I am adding water frequently because I'm losing water.
(4) How much do you think it will take to take it from 0 to the proper level?
(5) How soon can I check the level after adding stabilizer?

BTW, I was very surprised at how quickly it dissolved.

Sallie said:
I am in the process of adding stabilizer to my pool. It gets full sun most of the day, and I use bleach only. I've put it in the skimmer in some pantyhose. I read somewhere to check CYA level in 5 days. Here are my questions:
(1) What level should I shoot for? 30 to 50
(2) How soon can I backwash? Waiting a week is best.
(3) How often should I check CYA levels? Once you reach your target (I suggest 50 w/being in full sun), about once a month. I am adding water frequently because I'm losing water What's this about? Got a leak?
(4) How much do you think it will take to take it from 0 to the proper level? I suggest you shoot for the lower of 30 for now and creep up on the 50. Using Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my sig), I get about 6 lbs to get to 30.
(5) How soon can I check the level after adding stabilizer? You can check after about 48 hrs., but the full story may take about a week to appear in your testing.

BTW, I was very surprised at how quickly it dissolved.

Welcome to the forum, neighbor :wave:

Yes, I have some kind of leak. I'm adding water about every other day. Got a new liner last year, but I know it could still be that. I did the dye test at the skimmer, the light and the returns, and nothing spectacular happened. I'm not getting any bubbles in the returns, as I have in the past when there was a problem. Can't really afford to get the leak detector people here, so I'm not sure what else we can check on our own.

Here's more about my leak. Today I looked at the filter, and there were two light streams of water coming down the filter from the black thing that holds the vari-flo valve. Sorry I don't know all of the correct terms. I do have a picture of this if someone wants to help. This leak is not always there, but I do see it occasionally. Hubby says it's as tight as he can make it. What causes this, and what can we do?

I also checked the line that carries my backwash and waste water out. I can't see the end of the pipe because it's on the other side of a brick fence, and a tree is in the way; but the trench is on a slope. The higher part is dry, and there is water beginning where the pipe probably is and down the slope, so no doubt I am losing water that way. How do we fix that?

I am determined to get my pool in order this year. In previous years, it has been hit and miss.

Tonight Hubby put in a new spider gasket. The old one had one spoke that was all but missing, and 3 of the others were all deformed looking. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have been dealing with that leak last season, too, and just couldn't afford to get the leak people here. We've had them before, and they had to take up concrete and put in a new skimmer. I can't wait to check tomorrow to see how my waste line is doing. And besides that, I could never get my pool clear after they put in the new liner last year. Thanks to TFP, it's as clear as can be. I'm still learning, but I'm on my way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.