Heat Pump near Boston MA - recommendations

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi folks -

It turns out we only using the pool in July and August because the water is on the cold side during the other months. We actually thought about having the pool filled in because of the lack of use, but I've been reading up on heat pumps. We don't have gas at the house (oil for heating). Can the folks who live in New England tell me what heat pump models you use and your real life experience? I will have an electrician put in the proper 220v connections and luckily, the pump pad is just on the other side of the foundation from the breaker box. Any input is appreciated!!!

Thank you

PoolDV and JBLIZZLE - thank you. I'll get a solar cover asap. Also, I notice in your signatures you have solar panels. Have they helped in warming your pools? Can you have water from the return jets feed the panels? That's the easiest way I can think of to install one for my pool; I'd lay the 2' x 12' (or 20') panel on the deck that faces south and that gets LOTS of sun and just have the return jet feed that panel. Thoughts?

Get the 8 mil cheapest one you can find. They are lighter and easier to handle and work great. Yes, solar panels work great. They give us a lot of swim days that we would otherwise miss due to rain, cold fronts, etc.

Solar panels should be plumbed in after the filter and before any chorinator or saltwater chlorine generator and then to the pool returns.

Normal to have valves after to filter to divert water to the solar. They work great. We were swimming with water in the 80s in mid March, with no cover. But then it got cooler ;)

I love my Heat Siphon pump. Great customer service - when it broke under warranty (5 years) they delivered a new one and even installed it (I did the initial install myself with an electrician). The solar cover works well but for me was just a pain - rolling it out up every morning and rolling it out at night. Definitely get the cheapest one - I bough mine for like $29 at a pool store closeout.

gb99 what is your normal pool temp range? I am in southeast Mass with a 20x40 inground pool. The shallow end is in full sun most of the day but the deep end only gets sun between 530 and 630 at night. All last year between July and Aug I was anywhere from 74 to a best of 79 (briefly).

I purchased a solar cover this year and last night was the first time installing it. Pool temp yesterday afternoon was 72, this morning it was almost the same 72. So that was promising.

let me know how your solar cover works

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.