Need Screw for Light

Please let me clarify - the screw disintegrated, not the little flap of metal in the niche that it screws into? I've seen the flap disintegrate a number of times, but never the screw :?

Do you have a salt pool? Also, Hayward lights part numbers usually are in the form "SP" -#### X - you may have taken the serial number instead of the model number 8)

I've got the 2006 Hayward parts book in front of me, so if you can answer these questions, I ought be able to help :)

We don't have a salt pool. At one time, the pH got low and may have stayed like that a while. Hubby supplied the initial info. It is a SP-583-SL, and it says wet-niche type. He thinks it's just the screw that disintegrated.

BTW, does he need to drop the water level before re-installing the light? The light is now sitting on the deck and is attached by the cord. When it came loose, it was just floating in the pool. Any tips or tricks to putting it back or is it pretty simple? He will be doing it. I don't mess with anything electrical, especially around water.

Also, we are losing water and have been for a while. Are there any things to check with respect to the light? I've read that the first thing to check is the skimmer. I'll be doing some checking this week-end.

Sorry for the delay :oops: (this is 'H*ll Week' for pool dudes, everyone wants their pool open for Mem Day :mrgreen: )

While the light is still out, you may want to use a waterproof 2 - part epoxy to seal the hole into the conduit that the light cord goes into - freeze/ thaw shifts can break the conduit and it's very hard to check the conduit for leaks so, it's best just to seal it as a precaution when you have some missing water and the light is already removed :-D Make sure not to disturb the light cord for 12 hours after applying the epoxy and to make sure that it is fully packed in and around the cord/ bonding wire - whoever does this should only have to get wet up to the shoulder (if you don't drain any water, which you shouldn't have to) - so a sleeveless tee-shirt or topless is the way to go :goodjob:

After the epoxy has set, you want to wrap the extra cord around the light housing as you lower it into the niche, this way you dont end up having the extra cord interfering with putting the new screw in :wink:

Okay, here's where we are now. I went to the pool store and took the part number and the light model number. They didn't even look at it and sold me a screw. When I looked at the receipt, the part no. was S03593 I think. We tried to put the light in. First, it seemed that the screw would not go in because the liner had not been trimmed properly. (The light has been out since we got a new liner last year.) Anyway, we trimmed that, but hubby said it seemed like the screw was too short. It's 1.5 in. long. Should the screw be longer? He had to go out of town for a few days, but he is going to Lowe's when he gets back. I'm thinking if this is the wrong screw, it's not going to help for him to get a longer version of the same screw. I actually had already gone to Leslie's, but they did not have any. I'll be waiting for you guys to tell me what to do. Also, any other suggestions would be welcome.

A Hayward light in a Hayward niche should work fine - a few years back we were installing Pentair SAM lights in Hayward niches and the screws that came with the light weren't long enough (which is why I've got one down next to my dryer - we bought 1000 longer screws and one stayed in my pocket and ended up in the dryer :p )

If you want me to send it to you, pm me an address 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.