Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Screw for Light

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Screw for Light

The screw that held our light in disintegrated, and we need a new screw. The light is a Hayward L-61-38-47. does anyone know where I can get one?
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain - Columbia, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Screw for Light

Please let me clarify - the screw disintegrated, not the little flap of metal in the niche that it screws into? I've seen the flap disintegrate a number of times, but never the screw

Do you have a salt pool? Also, Hayward lights part numbers usually are in the form "SP" -#### X - you may have taken the serial number instead of the model number 8)

I've got the 2006 Hayward parts book in front of me, so if you can answer these questions, I ought be able to help
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

We don't have a salt pool. At one time, the pH got low and may have stayed like that a while. Hubby supplied the initial info. It is a SP-583-SL, and it says wet-niche type. He thinks it's just the screw that disintegrated.

BTW, does he need to drop the water level before re-installing the light? The light is now sitting on the deck and is attached by the cord. When it came loose, it was just floating in the pool. Any tips or tricks to putting it back or is it pretty simple? He will be doing it. I don't mess with anything electrical, especially around water.

Also, we are losing water and have been for a while. Are there any things to check with respect to the light? I've read that the first thing to check is the skimmer. I'll be doing some checking this week-end.
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain - Columbia, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I think this Hayward part number will get you where you need to go: SPX0580Z3. Good luck. 8)
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry for the delay (this is 'H*ll Week' for pool dudes, everyone wants their pool open for Mem Day )

While the light is still out, you may want to use a waterproof 2 - part epoxy to seal the hole into the conduit that the light cord goes into - freeze/ thaw shifts can break the conduit and it's very hard to check the conduit for leaks so, it's best just to seal it as a precaution when you have some missing water and the light is already removed Make sure not to disturb the light cord for 12 hours after applying the epoxy and to make sure that it is fully packed in and around the cord/ bonding wire - whoever does this should only have to get wet up to the shoulder (if you don't drain any water, which you shouldn't have to) - so a sleeveless tee-shirt or topless is the way to go

After the epoxy has set, you want to wrap the extra cord around the light housing as you lower it into the niche, this way you dont end up having the extra cord interfering with putting the new screw in
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to both of you, I hope we can get this done without a hitch. Would a pool store normally carry the screw?
    Sallie

7. Back To Top    #7

They should, if you have trouble finding one, let me know in a PM - I think I have one next to my dryer - sometimes pool parts follow me home
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, here's where we are now. I went to the pool store and took the part number and the light model number. They didn't even look at it and sold me a screw. When I looked at the receipt, the part no. was S03593 I think. We tried to put the light in. First, it seemed that the screw would not go in because the liner had not been trimmed properly. (The light has been out since we got a new liner last year.) Anyway, we trimmed that, but hubby said it seemed like the screw was too short. It's 1.5 in. long. Should the screw be longer? He had to go out of town for a few days, but he is going to Lowe's when he gets back. I'm thinking if this is the wrong screw, it's not going to help for him to get a longer version of the same screw. I actually had already gone to Leslie's, but they did not have any. I'll be waiting for you guys to tell me what to do. Also, any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Sallie

9. Back To Top    #9

A Hayward light in a Hayward niche should work fine - a few years back we were installing Pentair SAM lights in Hayward niches and the screws that came with the light weren't long enough (which is why I've got one down next to my dryer - we bought 1000 longer screws and one stayed in my pocket and ended up in the dryer :P )

If you want me to send it to you, pm me an address 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the screw, Ted. LOL Hubby is out of town, but hopefully we can get that light in this week-end.
    Sallie

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sallie
    Thanks for the screw, Ted.

I LOVE it when a young lady says that to me!

Always happy to help the folks here when I can
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

12. Back To Top    #12

Gosh I sooo wanted to say something.

Thanks for taking it out of my hands Ted!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

13. Back To Top    #13

Remember, this is a family forum.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi Sallie, Welcome to the forum neighbor

Ted, you better not be coming thru town without stopping at our house!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

I've been holding myself back on this for a while - but just gotta ask -

Joyce, do you need a screw too?

(for your light, of course)

I couldn't help myself Please say HI to Johnny for me
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted