No Ground or Bonding lugs on Heater

Jun 12, 2016
Clarkson, KY
Balboa heater 5.5kw 50096 hot tub spa 240v 15 inch
I bought this heater on Ebay. How do I ground this thing? There are two Lugs on the element, of course, and a pressure switch, but no lugs for ground or bonding. I want to run a dedicated 240V power to the heater (which also runs on 120V, according to the manufacturer). My pump is 120V plugged into a GFCI.
Thanks in advance for someone's help.

This is an old tub my neighbor gave me..I re-plumbed it for leaks, and installed the 1 hp pump she gave me..I bought the in-line heater for a third the original price. There are no other metal parts on the tub. I plan to insulate and build an enclosure myself. It's simple, a seats four, 6 jets ...but I don't want to boil anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean fry anyone.

Let's try this again, in part for the folks watching at home.

You are totally rebuilding a portable spa and have purchased a balboa 5. 5 heater and want to know how to ground or bond it.

The simple answer is you don't do either. The heater is connected to a "spa pac" which controls the spa. The spa pac is grounded back to the neutral buss bar of the main panel through the cord or hard wired conduit. So you need a spa pac.

The heater (and spa pac for that matter) are sold as replacement parts for hot tubs sold as a complete piece of equipment. So these parts do not have bonding lugs. NEC 680.42 does not require bonding of these parts. However you structure if it's metal must be bonded to the ground.

Yes it must be downstream of a GFCI. .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.