Umbrella deal

Marlahoutex

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2014
Houston tx
For those of you who live in the south and have an Academy store, they have 9' tilting Market umbrellas for $29.00 and a base for $19.00. They also have anti-gravity loungers for $49.00. Solids and stripes are the same amount and they have, at least in my store, a decent selection of colors.

We bought 2 umbrellas and 2 stands and a blue lounger. We'll see how long they hold up, but at that price I could by a new one every year and still be ahead!

Those umbrellas look like the ones we picked up at a grocery store. Worked really well ... Until a freak wind gust at a party a few weeks ago sent one sailing across the yard and 2 into the pool, one with its granite base. I think 1 is still semi functional. The metal is very thin.

was at Sams club at their $119 umbrella with sunbrella fabric gets solid reviews but $29 is tough to beat if they last 2-3 years here in TX.. tempting.. similar chair at Sams was for $69 and appeared to have an attached drink tray at a quick glance.

thats a good price. i purchased one at walmart for 29 bucks and i'm really happy with it also. i've always owned costco umbrellas but you cant beat having 3 for the price of 1.

We had terrible luck with those same chairs from Academy a few years back. The 20 or 30 rings in the blue surface all rusted to nothing after a season. Worst part some of the rusty metal found its way into the pool and caused staining.

-Mike

Keeping umbrellas from blowing around is always the problem. I have a granite base that weighs 40 lbs. and that was never enough. I filled four 5 lb. protein powder containers with concrete and they fit perfectly on the base. I made a sheet metal cover to pretty it up. The total weight is 200 lb. It has never moved.

I bought 3 of those umbrellas at the beginning of last season. I have 2 "umbrella holders" in my pool decking and another one on my sun shelf, so I don't use weighted bases. On one rather windy day, I had an umbrella lift out of the holder. Otherwise, they worked very well.

Now that we are smack dab into the middle of year 2 with the umbrellas, I am pleasantly surprised how well they are holding up. The canopies and extending hardware still work perfectly. The amount of color fading is minimal. I do, however, have a salt pool so the poles are starting to show a bit of corrosion. I do not expect that the hardware will last into the 2017 swim season.

But, man, for only $30, these umbrellas are great. We are so happy with the Academy-branded stuff that we bought a few of the anti-gravity loungers and regular chairs in coordinating colors. Highly recommended!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
was at Sams club at their $119 umbrella with sunbrella fabric gets solid reviews but $29 is tough to beat if they last 2-3 years here in TX.. tempting.. similar chair at Sams was for $69 and appeared to have an attached drink tray at a quick glance.
Those $119 Sam's Club umbrellas go on sale at the end of the year. Watch for it. I bought 3 of them last year for $39 each. No color selection was left, but at that price........

Can you post a picture for us?

Sure!

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.