Converting from Baquacil to Chlorine - Question

May 19, 2009
Central NJ
I've stockpiled about 50 gallons of bleach, getting ready for the switch.
After I vacuum out the initial debris after the cover was taken off, how much bleach do I start with?
I ordered the TF-100 test kit last night, so I won't be able to get real results until it arrives.
I have some test strips for the time being to test for baquacil and chlorine levels.
I am ready to take pictures, i have been reading about all the colors that the water changes.

DE Filter (48 SQ. FT. Grid) Nautilus Fin
Whisper 1 1/2 HP Pump
Pentair MiniMax CH 250M Heater

You want to raise the FC level to 15. Starting out your FC level should be zero, so that means adding 15 ppm of chlorine, which would be about 4 1/2 gallons of 6% bleach.

Good Luck! (By the by we love to see pictures.)

Once you start, keep nailing it with bleach! :whip: <i.e. don't let the FC drop from 15> :wink:

And lots of pics as Jason mentioned! 8)

Conversion a Success ?

I started adding bleach on Friday night(5/22), the pool turned colors fast.
Yesterday(5/23) I nailed it all day with bleach, while I vacuumed and brushed.
I could almost see the bottom in the deep end by late afternoon. I used 24 (1.42) gal.
bottles of bleach.Back washed 8 times during the day. At 10:00 pm last night I tested, 36 drops of R-0871 and my 10ml sample was still pink.
this morning(5/24) I tested at 6:00 am and again, 36 drops and still pink.
Water is chrystal clear(amazing), clearest in years.
Do I have too much bleach in the water? There is no sign of baqua-goo and the psi in the filter is the same as last night.

Patrick - Central NJ
19K Gal. IG Freeform Gunite/Plaster Finish
1 1/2 HP Whisper Pump
DE Filter w/48 sq.ft. grid
250M Pentair Heater

Yes, you are using too much chlorine. You don't want the FC level going above 15. Your test result showed FC at higher than 18.

Since you didn't finish the test, you don't know what the FC level actually was, and so you don't know if you lost any FC overnight or not.

You are doing very well, and you are clearly getting towards the end, but it would be good to get a clearer test result tonight to be sure you are completely done.

Held exactly 15 ppm of FC from 9:00 pm (5/24) to 6:00 am (5/25).
Took a grand total of 31 (1.42 Gal.) jugs of bleach.
But my CC reading this morning was 2.5. I added a one pound bag of shock (sodium dicholoro -s- triazinetrone)
early in the am. A CC reading of 2.5 at noon, so I added another one pound bag of shock.
Just took another reading, CC still at 2.5. What's up with that?

That would be remnants of GOO. :shock:

Why the switch from liquid to powder?

You must continue to shock until the CC is .5 or less! You're not done yet! :whip:

......well, as Casey said, you're not done yet!

Here's a step from Pool School on the Conversion:

7. Your conversion is complete when ALL of the following are true:

a. FC holds at 15ppm overnight - a loss of 1 ppm is generally considered acceptable.
b. CC's are less than 0.5ppm.
c. Your water is sparkling.

Then, you would change your filter media and then add CYA. So, keep shocking w/LC or bleach. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Converting from baquacil to chlorine - need advice

I've been holding FC at 15 ppm for 6 days and can't seem to get
the CC below 1.0 ( 2 drops ). All the other tests are in range. The pool
looks chrystal clear. I completely took apart the panels from my DE grid filter.
No sign of goo anywhere (powerwashed them while it was apart). Tried blasting out the
return plumbing by throttling valves - still no goo. Am I overlooking something?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 128
Have you added CYA yet? It is time to add CYA when the FC level holds overnight and your have replaced the filter media. I believe you have done both of those things.

The last little bit of CC can take an extra while to go away. To finish off, you want the pool to get as much sunlight as possible as the same time that the FC level is fairly high, and you can't do that without CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.