concentrated Clorox bleach

TJTJ

Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
I am using the PoolMath calculator and am not sure of the exact amount of Clorox concentrated bleach to add. Example: when using the calculator it says to add 121 oz of 8.25% strength. My question is should I add 121 oz of concentrated? Is the concentrated the equivalent of 182 oz? or some other amount of Clorox bleach. I guess my question is does the calculator assume that I am adding "concentrated"
thanks in advance
TJ

I am using the PoolMath calculator and am not sure of the exact amount of Clorox concentrated bleach to add. Example: when using the calculator it says to add 121 oz of 8.25% strength. My question is should I add 121 oz of concentrated? Is the concentrated the equivalent of 182 oz? or some other amount of Clorox bleach. I guess my question is does the calculator assume that I am adding "concentrated"
thanks in advance
TJ
Pretty much all brand name bleach now is 8.25%. It used to be 6% was the standard. So they claim 121 oz now is equivalent to 182 oz then, even though it's not quite. The calculator just asks for the strength (8.25%) and gives you the right amount in fluid ounces. No extra arithmetic is required on your part to figure out equivalence.

If poolmath says to add 121 oz of 8.25% strength, to increase FC by 2.7 and our pool consumes 2.7 FC each day, I must add this amount daily to keep FC the same.
Seems fairly expensive @ 4.00 per bottle at home depot. I actually calculate our pool consumes less than 2 FC daily. I was just using 2.7 for the example.
TJ

2 - 2.7 per day is a very good FC consumption rate. Mine is about 2.5. When it gets over 4 ppm then we start to worry. But I do shop around locally for the best price in bleach. After all ... bleach is bleach (sodium hypochlorite), so if your Wal-Mart Great Value is cheaper at $2.95 per gallon, use that. In your area, you may have some local vendors that sell chlorine in bulk that will help as well. At TFP, we're bargain shoppers. :p

Texas Splash - I'm guessing you are using ~ 1 gallon per day. 365 x $2.95 = $1,076 I have been using cal hypo, but I am changing so my calcium doesn't get high. Of course then I have to drain and re-fill with tap water. Do you think you are spending that many $$ to chlorinate your pool? Thanks, TJ

At the start of the season Wal-Mart started selling 10% for $2.50 a gallon. It is a good idea to check the date code as it does degrade with time but even if it's a couple of months old as long as it was not stored in the sun it should still be 7 to 8% in strength and therefore a good deal. To give you some perspective though I pulled up a 4LB bucket of Trichloro tabs from Wal-Mart it cost $33.46 for what I calculate to be 16PPM of FC for a pool your size. I have never bough tabs and so don't know if that is a good deal or not it is just the first result I got. On the other hand 6 gallons of $4 8.25% bleach would give you 18ppm for $24 without raising your CYA and making you have to add even more in the future to obtain the same result. The other option is you could switch to a SWG by most accounts the cost per PPM of FC turns out to be the same just with SWG you pay up front in the form of equipment but that can be easier for some to just get it over and done with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.