Need some feedback on pricing from local dealer.

Jun 11, 2016
Colton, SD
Hi All-

Long time lurker, first time poster. After "trying out" a Craigslist $150 pool for 3 seasons, we decided to move up to a hardside AGP this year. We live in Sioux Falls, SD and there is only one game in town for AGP sales. They are a Doughboy dealer. As with anyone buying from someone who has a Monopoly, I'm concerned about overpaying for what I'm actually getting. So, I thought this might be a good forum to share what I was quoted and see how that compares to what others have gotten.

We are going with a '28 pool. The below prices are "kit" prices in that they include the following in addition to the pool. UD Misty Falls 20ml liner, deluxe extended skimmer, 1 1/2 hp PowerLine Pump, 17" Sand Filter with sand, vac pole, hose, skimmer net, brush, test equipment, coving, and a deck mount ladder.

28' Copper Canyon Pkg - List $6599 - "Sale Price" - $5349.

28' Palm Shore Pkg - List $8399 - "Sale Price" - $6249.

On top of that, they want $2050 for install. I already have all of my dirtwork done. I have a 32" circle graded level with sand on-site.

So, with install, I'm at $7399 installed for Copper Canyon kit, or $8299 installed for Palm Shore.

I also looked into adding a "deep end". For this, they add $700 to the install price and another $660 for the expandable liner needed to support it.

Therefore, installed with a deep end takes me up to $8760 installed for Copper Canyon kit, or $9660 for Palm Shore.

I do have the $500 coupon from doughboy that i could apply to either of the above options for a little helpn but this all seems very expensive as compared to what i was thinking it would cost

how do you all feel about the prices I was quoted?

What other pools are available online that would provide similar quality to the Doughboy line that i could potentially install myself and save some much needed cash on both the pool itself and the install labor?

I'm not overly concerned about installing a flat bottom, but how difficult is it for a DIY install of a pool with a deep end?

I would appreciate any feedback you would be willing to provide. Thank you to all!

Doughboy is one of the best, but also one of the more expensive ones though. I have heard from folks on that these last many, many years compared to others. So if your looking for the long term, buy the best you can afford.
Lots of "cheap ones" out there, but you get what you pay for pretty much. I am sure you will get quite a few different opinions and advice, but you are stuck pretty much with what you can afford, and your area. Costs for install vary all across the country due to wage differences, but the pool product cost is pretty close to the same, maybe give or take a couple hundred bucks.
Research your local store, get opinions from others in your area about them, their installers, etc. Big investment, so do the research, you will feel better in the long run, and your pocket book will thank you.

Thanks for the reply Darrel. I agree with everything you said. I guess I am just trying to ensure that my local dealer is in line with what others have paid for their Doughboys, and that there isn't some better option out there than I am unaware of. When I started pool shopping, no way did I think I'd be approaching 10k on an above ground. In need of some validation :)

Greetings!

I had a Doughboy installed last year and I'll give you my price breakdown, but I do live in Texas, so there are definitely some differences. I went with an 18x33 oval with a 7ft deep end, partially buried.

I have a thread with my pool build that has everything spelled out, but if I remember correctly, my pool kit was $6000 with some upgrades. My install was $3300 including the deep end and the partial burial. I did have some other options but I went with the Doughboy because it was the only one rated for burial and that part was important to me. I really hope you can get something that you will like.
I will say that I don't regret going with Doughboy and the deep end was definitely worth it! Can't wait to see your progress!

Last edited:
I just last week bought a Doughboy Coral Sea (cant find that model on the Doughboy website) 24 ft round by 54" deep with a 2spd pump, sand filter, steps, hoses etc for $3998. plus tax and that is the installed price. Bottom line was $4346. and again that is the installed price. The only extra I had to pay was for 7 tons of sand and a pool permit from the county. You might be better off shopping around and then finding a local installer. There are 2 big retail AG pool sellers in my area and I one I went to initially had a list of installation costs and for a 24 ft round pool it was $550. So $2000. seems a bit extreme.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.