Eyeball Orientation

s1njin

Jun 11, 2015
Jackson, NJ
Hey Gang,

I was wondering if you guys had any advice. I've observed weak flow from my return jets, and dead spots on the more aggresively curved areas of the pool. The following is my pool:

natural-spring-600x447.jpg
Red circles are my skimmers (alpha / beta) and floor drains.
Green circles are my returns.

Not listed on the diagram is the following:
A. Extra swimout across from Alpha skimmer close to return 1
B. Swimout and main steps each have 2 spinning returns, one on each side
C. Return jets are 3/8" eyeballs in the pool. Steps/swimout have some other return w/ 2 holes that spins, so I don't know what size it is.

This brings my total return count to 10 with 2 skimmers and 2 main drains. Pool is 6' deep at the floor drains, 3' deep at the main steps.

I was supposed to get 6 returns in total; 4 in the pool and one each in the steps and swim-out. I ended up with 10 (don't ask I don't know). The pump is the same HP that they quoted for the 6 returns (2hp) except now I have 4 extra returns to push water through. I've observed that my water velocity is predictably on the weaker side.

In a attempt to rectify the situation, I have gotten screw in plugs and closed off returns 2 and 5. I've pointed the remaining jets to spin the water counter-clockwise with the jets pointed slightly down from straight/level.

I have much greater velocity now coming out of the pool jets and the stairs/swim-out steps. I feel like this is closer to the design that the builder sold me, and the velocity of my jets seems to agree.

What do you guys think? Did I do something stupid, or is this worth the experiment. I have not seen my pressure gauge move at all on my filter since I plugged the 2 center returns. I'm hoping the greater velocity will help move more water than the way I had it w/ weaker velocity yet more returns. Oh, the prevailing wind blows towards the Alpha skimmer.

???

Attachments

• natural-spring-600x447.jpg
    natural-spring-600x447.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 48
Work with the wind. Stuff on the surface will be affected more by the breeze/wind. Use that to your advantage. Is the skimmer down wind or up wind? Get the wind and the flow of the water to bring stuff to the skimmer basket. Clockwise or Counterclockwise it doesn't matter use what works, but don't fight the predominate wind. Are you able to adjust your flow (suction) so it sucks more from the skimmers than the bottom?

Yes I can:

Turn off one skimmer or the other
Turn off the floor drains independent of the skimmers

Skimmer beta doesn't get the same amount of junk in it that skimmer alpha does - I suspect as you imply that it is because of the wind.

I will give it a shot; is there any obvious gotchas with closing off the 2 returns that i did? I mean, I'm obviously going to have to see how it goes but I can't see how 4 in the pool and 4 in both steps can't be enough .... ???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.