nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have always maintained my ph between 7.5 and 7.8. It tends to creep up and I usually have to add MA every month or two. My TA is rock solid at 70.

After installing my SWG this week, I've been closely watching PH expecting it to rise quicker than usual, but to my surprise, just the opposite has happened. My PH has plumetted to 7.2 in just a few days. What am I missing?

The only thing that I have done in the last week is added salt to 4000 ppm (I overshot a bit) and boric acid to bring my borate level back up form 30 to 50 ppm. (and added the SWG cell obviously). I also added CYA to bring my level from 50 to 80 ppm,

DUH, just typing this out I answered my own question. :rambo:

I added 90 oz. of stabilizer which, according to poolmath, lowered my ph by 0.82.

Now the question is should I leave it where it is and let it creep back up or should I add borax to bring it to 7.5?

I would leave the PH where it is and check daily to make sure it does not drop any lower. With aeration, over time, your PH will drift up. My PH drifted up every 4 days last year with a TA of 120. Now my TA is at 80 and it appears the PH increase is about every 8-10 days, but not 100% sure yet. On amazon, they have aeration devices that create tiny bubbles for a few $$$, or you could purchase the 360 degree rotating heads (which I have 4 of them), and this is what keeps my PH from staying stable. The positive side is that the water really circulates and I do not believe there are any dead spots. I have only brushed the pool maybe 3 times in 3 years and believe that it is not needed with 8 return jets (4 of them being oscillating).

Here are the links:

The Circulator Rotating Water Jets for Swimming Pools - YouTube

Amazon.com : Circulator 10022a Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Jet with Water Control Bottom Cap(2Pack) : Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com : Splash Pools 30700 Waterfall Pool Fountain : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden

Leave it.

Here's the secret to a Troublefree pool: In poolmath, if your now readings are within the correct range, you enter them into the target column. Look! No chemicals needed! Micromanaging the numbers to reach some arbitrary target will just keep you constantly adding this and that, which is more like the pool store method than the Troublefree method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.