Finally done construction!

Lophat

Apr 17, 2016
Richmond, BC, Canada
It's been a long month but the pool is up and all the plumbing is complete. Since the plumbing took so long, the walls started to develop a slimy layer!
Since I'm new to this, any advice is greatly appreciated! From what I've read, I should slam the pool after adjusting TA and Ph and scrub the walls and floor down. Check FC at night and recheck first thing in the morning to see if anything is using up the FC. No SWG during the slam and run the pump 24/7.

Do I keep adding liquid chlorine in to bring it to shock levels each morning if it keeps dropping!

once that is done, retest all parameters then add salt to recommended levels, fire up the SWG.
add in borates and Muriatic acid.

if I missed anything let me know.

oh, first sample results are as follows:

3 ppm FC
0.2 ppm CC
7.4 pH
20 ppm TA
20 ppm calcium hardness
0 CYA
40 ppm salt

I am sure you are excited to finally get it done.

You need to know how many gallons your pool is and put that in your signature. I am estimating around 7000 depending on your depth. You will use those gallons with http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html .

1st, you should get some CYA. Sold as Stabalizer in granular or liquid form. The granular is cheaper and works the same. Here is a link to what it might look like. Lowes, HD or Walmart will have it. Put it in a old sock and hang it in front of a return. The amount you need will be determined in Pool School. Target 30 for now.
Amazon.com : Clorox Pool Garden

Then adjust to 7.2 pH and do the SLAM based on the CYA of 30. That would mean that the SLAM FC level would be 12.

You will want to check FC frequently such as every few hours to ensure that it stays at at SLAM level as much as possibly until it passes the OCLT.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Yes you still want to leave CYA at 30 for now. The 60-80 CYA level is for a healthy salt pool - raising your CYA to that level when you're going to SLAM anyways means you'll have to use a lot more bleach than if you leave it at 30.

Once your SLAM is complete and the pool is sparkly, we can talk about adding salt and CYA to move towards getting the SWG started up.

Yes you still want to leave CYA at 30 for now. The 60-80 CYA level is for a healthy salt pool - raising your CYA to that level when you're going to SLAM anyways means you'll have to use a lot more bleach than if you leave it at 30.

Once your SLAM is complete and the pool is sparkly, we can talk about adding salt and CYA to move towards getting the SWG started up.

What he said.

Thanks fellas! So, with the first slam, the numbers are FC 3.2, CYA 35, ph 7.4, CC 0.2, TA 30 ppm, hardness (calcium)10 ppm, Nacl 100 ppm. I hope I'm doing this right. I added in 3 liters more of bleach and it is a bit high at 15.1. Added 750 grams of Borax as well to raise the ph. When should I add the salt?

Hi Jezza,

The water was sitting stagnant for a couple of weeks while we completed the plumbing. During which time, it grew a slimy layer on the walls below the pool surface. I left out that the first slam dropped from 13 ppm to 5 ppm overnight so I did it again last night. This morning the FC did not change (15ppm) so I think we're good now. The CC level was very low to begin with anyways. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.

So my question now is if I can start to add salt and more Borax to get ready for opening day! (Father's day). I will still need to learn how to program the Easy touch but for now, manual switching of the pump is easy enough.

thanks for all the guidance. I'll post pics soon!

Ok so the water is clear and no evidence of the slimy layers on the walls right? Add the salt but just hold off on the borax for the moment. Give the salt 24 hours to fully dissolve before you fire up the SWG. You'll then eventually want to add stabiliser to get it up to the recommended 70-80 CYA for a SWG pool.

I do have a slight reservation that if you had slimy walls that you have completed the SLAM so quickly -perhaps just go another OCLT to confirm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.