pool repaired - now pump stops pumping water after a few hours

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Last week I had a leak detection company come in and patch my liner and fix a leaking stair return. They said that skimmer/main lines tested fine at 20 psi, however, the skimmer valve has a small air leak which is causing all the bubbles I saw coming out of the return. They tried lubricating the o-ring. Since the repaired return had be closed to let the epoxy dry I didn't comment about the fact that there were tons of micro bubbles coming out of the next nearest return. I assumed that it would go away. Since then I have noticed that my pump is full of micro bubbles (previously there were none) and after a few hours it stops pumping. When I open the lid hot air comes out and I have to add a ton of water to get it going again. This is happening 2-3 times a day! I have checked and tightened everything around the pump, the water level is just above mid-skimmer, the baskets are clean.

I can't understand what is suddenly causing this. The pump was working fine since we opened two weeks ago. I'm going to call them on Monday but am worried that my pump will overheat or get severely damaged before I can get them back here. To replace the valve I need to redo all the plumbing connections so it can't be done immediately. Any suggestions or advice?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.