Second skimmer not getting suction

Hi, I have a problem that I hope you can help me with. Last year toward the end of the season my second skimmer that is furthest from the pump stopped getting suction. It has always had strong suction up to this point. I figured that somehow the line clogged up. So when I closed the pool I blew the pipes out with compressed air and water was blowing up through the skimmer but I didn't see any debris come out. I figured it must not be clogged because air and water were going through it. But when I opened my pool this season I still am not getting any suction.
My setup is old it just has 2 skimmers that the lines Y off before the pump and it has 2 returns. No main drain.

Many pools only have one skimmer and they work just fine. I'll bet that the skimmer that is not working is just further away from the pump and not really plugged up. I suspect your real problem is that you have is a suction side air leak. The number one cause of a suction side leaks is the rubber casket under the pump lid. Suggest you take it out and lube it and see if that fixes your problem.

Another check is to run water from a garden hose over the pump basket with the pump running.. if the basket then fills all the way up with water, you'll know the gasket is causing the leak.

Jim R.

I have checked the pump basket cover. I have lubed the gasket which is fairly new. There is no air leaking through the cover. When I turn the pump off I cannot remove it until I release the pressure. The other skimmer has good suction but if you look in the pump basket you can see the water flowing in like a strong hose. It used to work like that before when I would close off the other skimmer to vacuum. So do you think somehow the line got clogged up?

I suppose it could, but just does not sound like it to me. Sorry, I'm a little confused, is the pump basket full, or not, when the pump is running? More pool details or a pic of your equipment pad would be great. Do you have a multiport valve?

If you really think the problem is with the plumbing going to the non-working skimmer, you can buy a Drain-King at a home center. You basically use it just like you did with compressed air in attempt to blow the line out using water.

My gut says that everything should run just fine off one skimmer and that the problem is elsewhere..

Jim R.

I realize this thread is almost 3 years old, but I'm having the exact same issue with my INGROUND pool. I can't find any articles or videos on "no suction at the second skimmer". Danchinchar , did you ever resolve your issue? My pool guy is stumped and I have a pool technician coming out in a week to check it out. If it's a simple fix, I'd rather handle it myself. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE for anyone who comes across this in the future. I called SHASTA to have them come out and take a look. I got a callback from a certified SHASTA technician stating that SHASTA intentionally blocks the suction on the second skimmer if your pool has the "Quick Skim" feature. "Quick Skim" uses forced (pressurized) water over the suction port to create a mini vortex in the area. He recommended that both "Quick Skim" valves be placed in the 2 o'clock position and the main suction valve be placed 100% on the main drain (not on the skimmers). So far so good. Thanks.

Hi, I have a problem that I hope you can help me with. Last year toward the end of the season my second skimmer that is furthest from the pump stopped getting suction. It has always had strong suction up to this point. I figured that somehow the line clogged up. So when I closed the pool I blew the pipes out with compressed air and water was blowing up through the skimmer but I didn't see any debris come out. I figured it must not be clogged because air and water were going through it. But when I opened my pool this season I still am not getting any suction.
My setup is old it just has 2 skimmers that the lines Y off before the pump and it has 2 returns. No main drain.
Sorry I didn't post my solution.
I closed the first skimmer off and plugged the returns. Then I hooked my air compressor to the pump and blew air through it
UPDATE: I closed the other skimmer and the return lines off and pump air through the lines with an air compressor. Debris came out the skimmer and now I have my suction back
So the line was clogged with debris.
Sorry it took me so long to post the solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.