Figuring out the dimensions of the steps

Plazaglass

Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Atlantic Beach, FL
Especially for those with smaller pools, what are the dimensions of your steps? Our plan is so small that we don't want to sacrifice much space to the steps, but they still need to be safe and functional, of course.

The water depth where the steps will go is 3'6". Also relevant: I am 5 feet tall and that first step's rise needs to be manageable! (Not so concerned with the deeper steps, since buoyancy will kick in.)

Would also love to hear from those who would do their steps differently somehow.

Thanks.

I have knee problems and I'm only 4'9" so we needed really functional steps. Here is what we did. These have only a 6" rise.

Mine are going into 4' of water but from the 9" shelf and not the outer edge of the pool (I have a step onto my shelf but on the other side) so something like this could probably be adapted for your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my very first step is 6" on the opposite end of the shelf, then my shelf is 9" deep. My bench aka 2nd step is 7" below the shelf (16" below water). All the steps after that are in 6" increments. I hope it helps. There are a lot of examples of more functional steps on here. Search for Helen, Suz, and I think Denise (Nursini) all have some form of functional steps in various designs.

Good Luck!

I love my steps. I was originally going for Helen's steps but my pool is too narrow. The first step off the coping is taller than I wanted, about 11" from the top of the deck to the top of the step, but the gunite crew said I needed several inches of water over the plaster. The depth will probably be better once the plaster is applied. My stairs are in my 3 1/2' depth side of the pool. BTW- I'm 4'10 1/2" :)

I love my steps. I was originally going for Helen's steps but my pool is too narrow. The first step off the coping is taller than I wanted, about 11" from the top of the deck to the top of the step, but the gunite crew said I needed several inches of water over the plaster. The depth will probably be better once the plaster is applied. My stairs are in my 3 1/2' depth side of the pool. BTW- I'm 4'10 1/2" :)

Ha! Denise! I'm 4'9 1/2! I guess at our height the half matters!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.