Shocking the pool...is my FC gonna be too high to swim in?

I feel that any FC level below shock level (based on your current CYA level) is fine. Indoor pool routinely run as far higher effective chlorine levels (because they have zero CYA). But you need to decide for your self what you are comfortable with.

I have been in my pool at 20-some ppm chlorine with CYA around 35 with no problem, but I wouldn't plan on swimming in it for fun. It would likely be tough on bathing suits. If you raise the FC, it will go down pretty quickly if there was a need to shock, like algae. Is there a reason you are shocking?

I am not really sure. When the pool company opened it, the water was pretty dirty (I couldn't see the bottom in the 3 foot end). They supposedly shocked it, but when I tested 48 hours later, FC was zero. I have been trying to get my FC levels up since as they seem to hover around 1ppm. I was trying to get them in the correct range before dumping in salt and firing up the SWG. I though shocking it would be the best way. Maybe I'll just dump the salt in and try to get that configured correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.