Pool drain plumed to skimmer, what's it purpose?

Hi guys I'm currently replacing my pool skimmer. When I pulled out the skimmer I noticed that my pool drain is plumed to the pool skimmer. What purpose is the pool drain if it's not connected to the pad and instead directly to the skimmer? The skimmer will be pulling down water from one hole but the other hole that is plumed to the drain will not do anything. Can I just eliminate this pool drain? Any info from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

This is kind of a fail safe feature and is standard practice these days. If the skimmer gets clogged with debris the pump will still be able to pull from the main drain, thus your pump will not run dry and possibly burn up the motor. It also helps to prevent entrapment at the main drain. If someone dives down and sits on the main drain with the pump running the skimmer will still be able to pull water, making it easier to break the suction on the person at the main drain. With out the skimmer in this scenario, fully blocking the main drain with a body part would hold a person down to the drain and they would not be able to escape. Deaths by drowning and disembowelment from being stuck to a main drain led to the changes plumbing the main drain and skimmer together.

There should be a diverter plate in the bottom of the skimmer, under the basket. It allows you to adjust the amount of draw from the drain vs from the skimmer. It also has a float that, if there is no water in the skimmer, snaps shut, so that it draws all water from the drain to prevent starving the pump. If you don't have one, you need to buy one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.