How to add chemicals without a skimmer?

Jun 1, 2015
Carlton/oregon
I have an Intex sand filter but no skimmer. I need to add some products and the instructions are to add them to the skimmer. How do I add them without a skimmer? I am trying to add Pool Magnet Plus, Sparkle Up and Kleen It.

I have been searching online for hours to no avail. (my pool store was no help) Please help!!!!

Your pool store was less than no help... they sold you a mess load of products we don't advise people to use routinely.

How big is your pool? How do you test your water? How does your water look? How do you fill-from a well or.....?

Please read this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I have an Intex Metal Frame pool 15'x42" with a Intex 3800 sand filter and salt water chlorine generator. I had the water tested at the pool store and the hardness was low (35, ideal 200-400) and I added Balance Pack per instructions. My copper was also high (2, ideal 0)
My water was somewhat cloudy but seems better after treating the hardness. I want to remove the cooper since I have bleached hair...need I say more? :?
I fill with city water but sometimes it is less than clear. Last season I didn't fully drain my pool but it wasn't covered properly and looked like a swamp, so I am impressed I was able to get it as good as it is!
Thanks!
Michelle

Some random thoughts-

I estimate your pool to be about 5,000 gallons. Have you considered draining and refilling? If you decide to go this route make sure you don't drain it completely. Leave about a foot to a foot in the bottom to hold the liner straight.

You don't need to worry about calcium hardness in a vinyl pool, and your store is doing you a disservice for not recognizing that and selling you product you don't need.

Try taking a pool sample to another pool store and asking them to check for metals. Just to compare the findings. We don't usually trust pool store tests but for metals....well...it will save you buying an pricey metals test kit. Again, a drain and refill will help get rid of the majority of the metals.

Do you have your own test kit for the basics- FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA (ignoring CH)??

Even though your pool is a skosh bigger than a temporary pool, this might be useful to read:
Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Add on Skimmers are available to help keep the surface of your pool clean. PoolSkim is one, available online, and Intex offers one:
Amazon.com : Intex Pool Surface Skimmer : Patio, Lawn Garden

Well, looks like I might be draining it anyway. I messed up and the whole bottle of Kleen It went into my pool. (the filter wasn't in the backwash position). I cannot find any info on this online either. I'm sure I can't be the only one that has done it. grrrrr

The MSDS is available on the Bioguard website. I just read it but it was not very helpful. Other than it is an extreme eye irritant. It looks like that product is intended to be used as filter cartridge cleaner outside of the pool. Did the pool store say to use it in a sand filter? Did the directions on the bottle say that?

Here are the only chemicals we recommend adding to your pool and how to add them,
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.