2 weeks after opening - Still cloudy.

Jun 11, 2016
Wichita, KS
Hello all, turning here because I am about to take a hammer to the pool.

First of all, I have a 10,000 gallon above ground pool with a sand filter. We have a single speed pump and all plastic piping/hoses. Opened the pool two weeks ago, was winterized with leaves and debris in the water (I was out of town, mother is older and couldn't do it until late season). Filled the pool up to level to begin circulate and added initial shock (4 bags of burnout 3). Brought PH up to correct level 7.5 and got hit with a huge algae bloom from all the debris left in the water. Got all of the debris taken out, treated the pool with Backup to kill the algae and then flocced the pool to get the dead algae out. Replaced the sand in the filter because it hadn't been replaced in 7 years. At this point I blew a spider gasket and had to replace that as well so the pump was out of commission for 24 hours while the silicon was drying. That was two days ago. The pump is up and running, but the water is still cloudy. I never have had an issue in previous years and believe it is because we opened so late. Levels for the pool as of an hour ago are the following: TDS: 1000, CYA: 38 Tot. Chlorine 8, Free Chlorine 7.8 (just shocked it earlier today). PH 7.8, Tot. ALkalinity: 120, Adj. Tot Alkalinity: 109, Tot. Hardness 260, also tested for phosphates and they were at 0. Following the Algae getting killed off I made sure I got rid of them.

Pictures attached are before firing up the pump after replacing spider gasket (pool had been setting for 24 hours and after firing up the pump (pool clouded up almost immediately) can see the bottom the pool barely. IMG_3797.jpgIMG_3799.jpg

Am I simply being impatient, or am I missing something that is readily apparent? It is worth mentioning that after firing up the pump again after replacing the spider gasket there was algae on the side of the pool. I brushed most of this off in hopes that the shock would take care of the rest.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.