Should I add more bleach?

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Recently refilled my pool.

ph was around 7.4 and then i added CYA to get me to 70, baking soda to get my TA to 60

Now i'm at....

ph 7
TA 60
CYA (i'll assume its 70) I just added it yesterday evening

Before I added the cya i added bleach to kill the tadpoles....then i came inside and read on here that I should not have done that.....i added one gallon @ 8.xx%

Today, when I try to test my FC it won't turn pink. Should I assume now my FC is at 0 and dose accordingly?

edit: I intend on using my SWG within the next week....as of now I am just using bleach. Thats why I'm trying to get my CYA up to 60 or actually i may have shot for 70

double edit: I ran out and took a bonus pic of my crappy intex pool http://i.imgur.com/JvWPr8a.jpg

Yes, no pink is 0 chlorine. Address appropriately. SLAM is the answer.... Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Added bleach to get me to 16ppm (thats all the bleach i had on me) went and bought 3 gallons this morning....tested again just now and it says i'm still at 16ppm, i have no idea how.....its very hot and full sun this morning. It says my CC is 0.....but when i added the bleach yesterday my water turned this slight yellowish/greenish color....

Can I let my FC float back down now?

Added bleach to get me to 16ppm (thats all the bleach i had on me) went and bought 3 gallons this morning....tested again just now and it says i'm still at 16ppm, i have no idea how.....its very hot and full sun this morning. It says my CC is 0.....but when i added the bleach yesterday my water turned this slight yellowish/greenish color....

Can I let my FC float back down now?

Not yet Nate, you need to keep SLAMing your pool and follow the process to the end. It is very important that you keep your FC up and try not to let it fall below the recommended shock level based on your numbers. I can tell you first hand, every time you allow your FC to fall below shock levels, your just adding to the TIME and MONEY you will spend getting everything straight again.

It's important that your doing your overnight FC loss test to determine when it is safe to let the FC drift back down to normal swim levels. Keep it up, you will be glad you did!

Good luck,
Steve

The yellowish green color after adding bleach was likely caused by iron in your water, if it only occurs at high FC levels you may be able to live with it without much problem, if it gets worse you may need to consider adding a metal sequesterant (this is an ongoing process not just a one time addition, as it breaks down over time)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.