Replacing ladder and hand rail anchors

May 29, 2008
Newburgh, IN
I have a 7 year old IG and the ladder and hand rail anchors are all but rotted in to oblivion. I guess aluminum, stainless and salt water just don't play well together. I see that you can buy anchors in bronze or in cycolac plastic (same material as the steps on most pool ladders). My question is which material would be best and is there any suggestions on the best way to replace them in an existing concrete deck short of cutting out and replacing a large section of the deck.

Others with a little more experience will be along soon.

I can think of no way out but to cut the concrete. If the cut is kept reasonably small, do not use normal cement when re-installing. They make a very fast acting product specifically for anchoring Ladders, fences, etc. into concrete. It's good stuff.

I put in the plastic anchors and wish I had done metal. The plastic, surprisingly, has some flex to it and doesn't anchor as firm as I assume the metal would. I do not know if a salt pool will cause the bronze to corrode but, if so, that would probably force me back to plastic......although the bolts that tighten the plastic anchors are still stainless.

There's a big sign on the wall at the local SCP here that says "SWG Manufacturers strongly recommend the use of Bronze anchors with their systems."

If it's just the top of the anchor that's broken, you can use a deck anchor repair plate like the on on this site. If the whole thing is coming apart and encased in concrete you'll have to either cut it out and re-pour or install and bond some deck mounted anchors.

Agreed (since I work for SCP)! The bronze is better, or, you can do the sacrificial anode routine. There are several out there including the ones from Interfab. The SRS Smith "Sealed Steel" rails, combined with their plastic anchors are also options. I've heard the same, that the plastic anchors result in a little "give" in the rail. You could also look at the (expensive) Saftron rails, which are some sort of resin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.