Question about chlorine levels for SWG vs nonSWG

Zindar

Jun 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hello, I read on the charts on this TFP website that the minimum and target levels for FC, given the same CYA levels are lower for SWG pools vs nonSWG pools. Why is that? Does the salt somehow aid in the inhibition of algae, so that less chlorine is needed?

By the way here are my current readings I just took (using my Taylor test kit):

FC 4.25 (it was pretty clear at 4.00, but it seemed a hair clearer at 4.50, so I interpolated
CC 0
PH 7.35
CYA 40
Alk 65
CH 150
Salt 1590
borates 5 ppm

I'm not running my SWG, primarily because my CYA is too low. I'm in the process of slowing increasing it by adding my 3" chlorine pucks (might as well put them to use - I have a little over a dozen of them left on hand, but I'll never buy anymore of them after reading this website).

Also, I might mention a couple of weeks ago, my PH was 7.2, but I've been using aeration (accomplished by pointing my single jet upwards to cause turbulence and a bit of light splashing as the stream breaks the surface). I used to use washing soda from Walmart, but (I could be wrong), I worry that would change my Alkalinity, and I think my alkalinity is already in range, so I'd rather not upset that. This aerating process seems very slow and gradual, but at least my PH is steadily (albeit slowly) rising.

My chlorine is low enough that I'm about to add another tablet, which I'll do once my Wanda the Whale finishes its vacuum session.

I know that borates are optional, but I do have on hand a partial bucket (probably less than half of it) of ProTeam Supreme, something the pool salesman talked me into buying before I found this website. Does anybody remember offhand how many parts per million to shoot for for borates, should I choose to use this bucket? I figure I have it, so I may as well use it.

I know my salt is low, so next time I go to home depot I'll buy some, but I'm not in a rush, because I intend to keep raising my CYA via chlorine pucks, so that will take care of my chlorinating until my CYA is high enough to start the SWG.

50 ppm is the target for borates.

The target FC is lower with SWG because of the longer period of time that chlorine is being slowly added to the pool. If the SWG is not on then follow the recommendations for a non-SWG pool.

As long as PH is between 7.2 and 7.8 you are good.

Here is a handy page on chemicals, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thank you . I guess makes sense about the target chlorine levels for SWG vs nonSWG, but why would the minimum levels also be different? I just assume that minimum levels have to do with the level below which you start incurring risk of algae growth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.