Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to clean bottom...does it matter?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to clean bottom...does it matter?

I have some **** in the bottom of my pool right now because of some rain and wind we have been having. It has also been crazy cold and it will continue to be cool and windy for the next few days so we won't be swimming anytime soon. The bottom of the pool is not completely covered, but there are some pine needles and such down there.

Should I use my automatic vacuum now to clean up what is there and then again in a couple of days, or is it ok to just wait and vacuum right before we plan to go swimming again? Thanks!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: WHen to clean bottom...does it matter?

It's not like it's urgent, but any kind of organic material in the pool will consume chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have trees of all kinds all around, so if it isn't from the oak tree, its from the neigbors maple or birch or whatever...my spring is now being defined by what kind of **** falls out of the tree next...Mine stays clean about 4 hours if I'm lucky. I'm not sure what is more cost effective, more bleach or running my aquabot more.
    I used to have a ......40,000 gal pool, concrete, Hayward SuperPump 1.5 hp, 325 lb. sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I was all ready to go out and clean (I would feel pretty lazy since all I have to do is hook up hoses for the automatic cleaner) when I saw that a pine tree branch is now in the pool. We have had a lot of wind! And it's freaking unnaturally cold so I'm not sure how I am going to get it out. Our pool temperature has dropped 10 degrees since Saturday. When I didn't have a pool (meaning a month and a half ago) I'd be all happy to a dose of cold weather after having 90 degree heat for the past two weeks. But we've had highs of 60 and 63 and I don't remember where I stored our pants...
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by numberonenole
    Well, I was all ready to go out and clean (I would feel pretty lazy since all I have to do is hook up hoses for the automatic cleaner) when I saw that a pine tree branch is now in the pool. We have had a lot of wind! And it's freaking unnaturally cold so I'm not sure how I am going to get it out. Our pool temperature has dropped 10 degrees since Saturday. When I didn't have a pool (meaning a month and a half ago) I'd be all happy to a dose of cold weather after having 90 degree heat for the past two weeks. But we've had highs of 60 and 63 and I don't remember where I stored our pants...

Weatherman says most of Florida is in for a heck of a lot of rain. wind, and cool weather the next few days. I's say skim in every day, maybe just leave your cleaner in and run it an hour a day and clean up the mess next week. Brush op using your test kit, some parts of Florida could get 3"-5" inches of rain. Pool stores must love that kind of weather.....
    Strom

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl, SR Smith The Rogue Funslide, Infinity 2000 Automatic Cover
    Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter, 1 HP Pump With Emerson Extreme-E Motor, Hayward H200 Heater
    Polaris 380, Dolphin Diagnostic, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: When to clean bottom...does it matter?

Knowing that you have rain, wind (more stuff blowing in) on the way, I suggest you bump up your FC a little to help compensate.

It's just 'staying ahead of your water' and helping prevent more work down the road.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!