New pool owner, a lot of back washing

Jun 11, 2016
New jersey
I had my above ground pool opened last Saturday. I am running a Hayward perflex ec50. Since opening and trying to clear my pool up, I have noticed I have had to do a lot of back washing to make sure the return pressure stays up. The PSI increases quickly. I have also took it apart and hosed off the fingers. It will run ok for about 1-2 hours before having to bump. Then maybe 24-48 hrs before a backwash seems necessary. I have been using Aqua perl as past owner left bags of it following back washing. Is this normal? Can all of the chemicals I'm using to clear up my pool be causing this? I have noticed when I open drain to backwash and when I cleaned the fingers there was a lot of yellow built up/clumps of DE (what I believe to be the DE). Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome! :wave:

If the pool started out as a green monster, what you're describing is completely normal and to be expected. DE filters filter really well. Sometimes weller than you want. ;)

What chemicals have you been using? If you got suckered into buying phosfree or clarifier, that could account for a lot of it. About all they're really good at eliminating is cash from your wallet.

If the pool is green, and you aren't raising the chlorine high enough often enough, algae will continue to grow and you will have a never-ending supply of dead algae to clog the filter. You want to kill it off faster than it can reproduce. A lot faster. We call that process the SLAM Process Before you start reading up on that, take a minute to check out the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry so you understand the language we use. Then order up a proper test kit.

Here's some threads that show what others have done. I'm sure your pool can't be worse than some of them. Just do what they did. Hint: a whole lot of it involves testing with a proper test kit.

Pool is slowly clearing. I hav been adding liquid chlorine and non chlorine shock bags to help raise chlorine levels. Not much algae or green during opening. Should I continue to backwash and bump as needed or will this mess up the filter? What about the clumps of Aqua perl (DE replacement)? This is normal? I plan to get it tested today. Thanks

The clumps could be any clarifiers or flocculents you may have added. That's what they do: bind small particles together. And gum up filters.

Quite frankly, I don't see you having any success clearing your pool if you persist in having the pool store test your water. Time and time again it's been demonstrated here that about all a pool store is good at is clearing your wallet. Here's just one recent thread I remember. Super green pool problems with pool store suggestions You need to get a proper test kit or you're working blind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.