My water looks like Lime Green KoolAid

I just opened my pool and I know it's way to late in the season but we have had nothing but rain for months. Anyhow my pool looks like lime kool aid and I put 2lbs of shock in and a quart of algecide (per pool place) and my pool developed a brownish foamy scum on top. I took them a water sample and they informed me that I am in chlorine demand and required 70 lbs of shock to fix the problem. I pumped my water out below the skimmer and then began to refill while still pumping out old. Should I continue to use the shock bags or switch to bleach

Shocking like that can be expensive. I usually take the slow inexpensive approach using my own test kit and the Pool Math calculator. My approach: You need your own test kit and TF-100 is awesome. Once pool is full of water, keep pumps/filter running, balance the waters Alkalinity, CYA, Calcium if a masonry pool, add Algaside, and get PH balanced (pool math helps with this). Once that chemistry is set for at least 4 hours, add chlorine to get above 5 ppm and keep chlorine at 5 ppm or higher with PH at 7.2-7.5 every morning and evening for a few days. In the mean time if a sand filter you will probably have to clean out the sand filter 2 or 3 times during the initial clean up of your water if water is nasty. Adding some blue Water Clarifier helps remove the small particles in the process.

Hope this helps

Shocking like that can be expensive. I usually take the slow inexpensive approach using my own test kit and the Pool Math calculator. My approach: You need your own test kit and TF-100 is awesome. Once pool is full of water, keep pumps/filter running, balance the waters Alkalinity, CYA, Calcium if a masonry pool, add Algaside, and get PH balanced (pool math helps with this). Once that chemistry is set for at least 4 hours, add chlorine to get above 5 ppm and keep chlorine at 5 ppm or higher with PH at 7.2-7.5 every morning and evening for a few days. In the mean time if a sand filter you will probably have to clean out the sand filter 2 or 3 times during the initial clean up of your water if water is nasty. Adding some blue Water Clarifier helps remove the small particles in the process.

Hope this helps

This is not recommended TFP practices. TFP recommends adding chemicals based on valid test results. The first step in clearing your pool should be to read pool school several times and invest in a proper test kit. Once you get valid test results, you can start balancing your water based on the results. Your recommended chlorine level will be based on your CYA level. If your water is green, you will need to SLAM. The proper technique for a succesful SLAM is outlined in pool school.

In the mean time, you need to get one of the recommended test kits. The TF100 is the best bang for your buck. While you are waiting for your test kit, you can add about a half gallon to a gallon of liquid chlorine to your pool each day.

A properly balanced pool usually will not require any claifiers or algecides.

Reading Pool School Several times is simply too big of a task.

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll get you started. Then start asking questions.

Stay out of the Pool Store.....you can see where they have gotten you to this point. To follow what we teach, you will have to have your own VERY good test kit. The two we suggest you can only get online but it's what you need to clear your pool.

While you are waiting, follow the good advice given by task above.

Tony,

I am new to all of this and looking forward to taking control of my pool instead of dumping money into the pool place. I actually do have a Taylor 2006 test kit that has never been opened that I've had for 2 or 3 years. Do you all think the chemicals in it are still good. I tested my cya per directions and got nothing. I really appreciate everyone's responses and look forward to learning all this stuff. Believe it or not I had two years of college chemistry and did really well but that was 30years ago and this stuff is kind of mind boggeling

This is not recommended TFP practices. TFP recommends adding chemicals based on valid test results. The first step in clearing your pool should be to read pool school several times and invest in a proper test kit. Once you get valid test results, you can start balancing your water based on the results. Your recommended chlorine level will be based on your CYA level. If your water is green, you will need to SLAM. The proper technique for a succesful SLAM is outlined in pool school.

In the mean time, you need to get one of the recommended test kits. The TF100 is the best bang for your buck. While you are waiting for your test kit, you can add about a half gallon to a gallon of liquid chlorine to your pool each day.

A properly balanced pool usually will not require any claifiers or algecides.

Task, You did not read what I said -> "You need your own test kit and TF-100 is awesome. "

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.