Bonding safety cover brass anchors

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I have a loop loc safety cover and when they installed it they put brass anchors in my paver deck and in my rock wall and grotto along the back of my pool. Some rocks are actually on a ledge inside my pool. When in the pool one can easily touch the anchors that were drilled inside the rocks.

Is there an issue that these brass anchors were not bonded?

Mas has nothing to do with it there is should be a bonding grid installed by the pb which bonds the patio around your pool and by association the cover tie downs are bonded with the stone.

I think that one might be able to argue that a strict adherence to the code might require bonding any metal part. However, I don't think that it would be reasonably possible and I don't think that any inspector would require bonding. I doubt that anyone has ever bonded safety cover anchors.

There is a bonding grid around my pool but the anchors are not bonded. And the anchors drilled into the inside rocks are certainly not bonded. I don't know how those drilled into rock could ever be bonded, but I asked the question because they could have had the cover go over the rock walk and grotto such that the anchors were not accessible while actually in the water. But they installed the cover right into the Rockimage.jpg

Safety cover anchors have about 4 square inches of surface area.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that no one bonds the anchors.

Note: Always follow all applicable codes to ensure safety.

2014 NEC 680.26 (B)(5): All metal fittings within or attached to the pool structure shall be bonded. Isolated parts that are not over 100 mm (4 in,) in any dimension and do not penetrate into the pool structure more than 25 mm (1 in.) shall not require bonding.

That is a model of clarity NOT.

This is the only place I know of where the NEC uses the term "pool structure." In 680.26 (B) (1) it uses the term "pool shell." Neither term is defined in the definitions section.

Earlier in 680.26 (B) the code talks about the perimeter of the pool. They don't use the same term here.

My view is that cover anchors that are placed in the deck or adjacent material do not require bonding. But cover anchors that exceed 4 inches in any dimension and penetrate the pool shell more than an inch do require bonding. Your local inspector may disagree.

What is really really important here is to make sure the deck, no matter what is is made of, is bonded to the pool shell and the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.