Frequency of replacing sand in filter

Jul 22, 2015
ON
I've been getting higher pressure readings on my sand filter (avg 15-18 psi) than most of my neighbours who seem to be around 8-10psi... Having just bought the house last yr, I've spoken to the pool maintenance company that's serviced this house for the past 25 yrs and they show no record of ever changing the filter sand in the filter.

I've heard varying stories in regards to the frequency of changing the sand.

Can anyone clarify the correct frequency for changing the sand?

I do backwash and rinse after pretty much every vacuuming of the pool...

Not sure that this makes a difference, however, it was a non-saltwater pool (close to 30 yrs) until last yr when I converted it...

Thanking in advance

Bill

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

every pool has a differant PSI and sand has been around for millions of years :) do a deep clean and you should be good to go, the sand will last longer than the filter :)

There is no normal filter pressure. Pressure is dependent on many things plumbing, heater, return eyeball size, number of 90° elbows, valves, etc. It is recommended to backwash your filter when pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.