14 Year Pool Owner

Grated

Jun 10, 2016
Atlanta/GA
I have had my pool 13 years, the first liner lasted 11 years and we installed a new one 2 years ago. The first 11 years I used pucks from Walmart and I guess they just had smaller amounts of stabilizer in. My cya stayed a little high but never over 80. (Maybe all day direct sunlight helped this?)The last 2 years I have been using 3" tabs from online pool stores and my cya climbed into the 150 range. So after being disappointed I now have the pool drained 60% and filled back up. I should be firing up the pump in an hour or so and getting some samples. I will be using liquid bleach/chlorine from here on out and only using tabs when stabilizer is needed or when I go away for several days(until they're gone, which will be awhile). How often do you guys add bleach? Everyday? Every other day? I guess my first thing to do is determine how much the pool uses a day. So now I am on to a new learning experience. Up until the last week or so all of my water tests have been great and in limits since I check every other day.

Well my TF-100 is on order. So I added some baking soda and I will re-check in a few. Gonna bump up the FC 1 ppm, I am interested to see how much bleach it uses a day since it gets full sunlight all day.
FC - 4
TC - 4
TA - 40
PH - 7.0

Welcome to TFP!

Most pools use 2-4 ppm FC per day. Have you added any CYA to the pool? It will need to be at least 50 ppm for your climate. Waiting for pucks to get it there will take too long and the sun will burn off your FC too fast. Put some in a sock and hang it in front of a return. More here on adding CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

CYA is 50 according to the strips....which I know suck, but I have been using them and a 5 bottle test kit. And comparing the two. It has worked for 13 years but has failed me this year with my CYA so high. My TF-100 will be here this week.

All trichlor pucks have the same ratio of FC to CYA, which makes me wonder if your old liner may have had a slow leak in it which allowed you to keep your CYA level down with gradual water replacement.

Welcome Grated!
Our pool similar in size to yours, will use roughly 20 to 40 ounces of 10% chlorine every 1 to 2 days.
TF-100 Test Kit will allow you total control of caring for your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.