A couple questions..

Jobei

Jun 10, 2016
Sciota
Hey guys. I have a couple questions I haven't been able to find an answer to, hopefully you guys can help me out.

I just upgraded the system for my gunite pool. It's pretty large, I'm thinking around 45-50,000 gal. I went from a 1hp single speed Hayward to a 1.5 two speed Hayward. Both are 230v. Also went from a 24in tagelus to a 30in Hayward filter.

So I got the new pump yesterday. It has a built in hi/lo switch on it. Right across the pump is a sticker that says "must use a two speed, multi, or variable speed controller with this pump." The manual does not mention a thing about a controller. Now, why would I need a controller if theres a hi/lo switch already on it. I don't want an automatic timer if that's what it means.

I have an electrician coming tomorrow, I just want to make sure he has what he needs. I hope I don't need one of those T10somethings, they look expensive.

Now a quick plumbing question. The pump has a 1 1/2" output. The filter has 2" fittings. Will I be okay using an adaptor between the pump and filter?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jobei

Welcome to TFP :)

You do not have to have a controller but a mechanical timer would be recommended unless you are running 24/7
Amazon.com: Intermatic 2-Speed Pool Pump Timer 208-277 Volts; 40 amps #T30404R: Home Improvement

You really need unions for your pump.. are you using 2 inch pipe for everything or are you staying with 1.5 inch? here are the unions that work great..

Praher UNION, 1-1/2 SLIP, HIGH TEMP (215-906) - INYOPools.com

Custom Molded Products Union 1.5 Slip - 21063-154-000 - INYOPools.com

I'm glad to hear you say I don't need that controller. I can't afford that. I don't mind turning the pool on and off everyday.

As for the plumbing, all my existing lines are 2". Now I wonder why the pump would have a small output on it. Seems silly. So I'll just get the union for between the pump and filter.

I was mistaken earlier. My entire system is currently 1 1/2". The filter is all 2". So I'll be putting a union and adapter between the pump and filter. I have a male adapter and flat bushing reducing the 2" from the filter return to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.