PB startup instructions? What's your thoughts?

ap2002

Bronze Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Houston, TX
What is your opinion on this startup, this what the PB left after he was done adding the startup chemicals.... Granted pool is looking crystal clear, maybe cause I been reading on here a lot and this just seems to easy to a certain point. PB left a Pentair test kit here for us, I have not been wanting to mess with it because I want to get used to my TFP-100 kit once it gets here and don't want to get confused..... Butttttttt I was curious today so I used the kind to do a FC test only, and it shows 0, And that is the reason why I'm in here right now asking lol...

image_zpsxlzwefr1.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

From what I been reading here suggestions are, stop adding chlorine tablets and added 1gal bleach everyday until TFP kit arrives?

It all depends - do you have to do this to maintain your warranty?

You need a good test kit right away as there is no advice anyone can give without test results. Without knowing your current CYA levels (if they added any) there's no way to know.

Also, never add chemicals to your skimmer! That is just horribly bad advice. Trichlor pucks are acidic and a constant low pH load directly into your pool equipment each day when the pumps run will do more damage (especially to heaters) than anything else.

Good job getting the TF-100, keep using it.

I would follow this start up procedure from NPT.

Overview | National Pool Tile Group

It is fine to chlorinate with trichlor pucks and shock (dichlor?) at first. Just keep track of what you add, use Effects of adding chemicals in Poolmath to keep a tally of how much CYA you have added to the pool. And buy a puck floater to put the pucks in rather than the skimmer basket.

The advice you are referencing is for someone who needs to SLAM their pool to kill algae, not start up a new pool. Please keep the context of the advice in the thread in mind when reading through different threads. And if in doubt post your own questions.

I would go ahead and add the tablets, but you need to be aware of how they raise the CYA level. I didn't read if the pool builder added initial CYA.

Add the tablets to a floater though. Putting them in the skimmer is tough on the equipment.

Basically, you need test results from the TF-100 and then you can make better decisions. But adding a couple tablets into a floater for a week is not going to harm anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.