High pressure

Jun 10, 2016
Staten Island, NY
My pool is 4 years old and this is the first time I am having this issue: Despite several backwashings, opening the filter, removing and cleaning the filter grids (several times, and the grids are not dirty)I am getting high filter pressure readings. Progressively and gradually over a period of days-running 7 hours/day, the pressure rises from ~11psi to 20psi or greater. This causes the flow to decrease to my heater and shuts the heater off(safety mechanism...but also tells me the gauge is correct and non-faulty). This past time I avoided adding DE to the filter to see if that made a difference and the pressure again gradually increased after 6- 8 hours of running. I had the filter apart to check for a physical obstruction-none, my returns are all open and unobstructed. I released the air pressure relief valve at the top of the filter and only water came out-no air, so I don't think its caused by a suction air leak. This is driving me crazy...any ideas? What am I missing?

Welcome to TFP :)

You have found the good and bad part of a DE filter, they work great at filtering things out of your water and therefore will clog very fast... how long did you run the filter without DE, this can be very bad for your filter...

How does your water look, anything in it, green?
what are your test numbers?

I bet you have an algae bloom going and your FC level is not high enough to kill everything..

Let us know, we can help but we will need good test numbers to go forward :)

Water is clear, my kids have been in the pool but today they haven't gone in because the heater does't turn on for long enough to heat the water to their desired temperature. pH 7.6-7.7, Free Chlorine 5 ppm, Combined chlorine 0.5 ppm, Alkalinity 80, CYA 70, salinity 3000, temp 78 degrees. Vinyl pool. I took the filter top off again this morning, rewashed the filter grids, and rechecked fittings this morning and in 20 minutes of the filter running the pressure rose from 12-22 psi. The issue seems to have worsened over the past week. Prior to today after taking the filter apart it would allow for a few days of stable low pressure prior to a significant pressure increase. Why would running the filter without DE harm it? Thanks...a very frustrating issue.

Four years with the same grids, it might be time to replace. Unless there is something else restricting water back to pool ie.. heater or valves in wrong position. You might take grids and soak in a filter cleaner solution also. Grids can scale up over time and or oils clogging the fabric

Well after removing the filter grids and soaking them overnight in Casgade/diluted muriatic acid, the pressure returned to normal-11psi. Thanks you guys are the best. I have to say I never thought it would be the grids by looking at them, but you can't argue with success!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.