skimmer basket housing on pump is broken around bottom rim

Jul 1, 2013
So I started filling my pool last night and now that it is above the inlet I opened the lid on the pump and started to fill the skimmer bucket, but it wasn't filling. That's when I noticed that all the water I was putting in was just coming out the bottom. I Lifted the pump and the very bottom of the bucket is cracked clean halfway around. Is there anything I can do to try and repair it? I was thinking some kind of plastic-weld epoxy, and maybe some kind of plastic bucket or container that would fit snugly around it and epoxy that on as well. Other than that I'm not sure what I can do other than just drain it and wait for next year. I just had to replace the engine in my truck buying another pump is just not in the budget right now. I do however have a working Hayward pump that I could use, but I'd need to order a new lid for it. One of the tabs on the old one broke last year.

Well, we've all had to improvise. :hammer: I would first check on the cost of just replacing the wet-end of the pump so you can save the motor and just replace the basket side. If you can't swing that right now and have no other alternative, you could try a strong epoxy-type product like a marine epoxy or JB-Weld perhaps. Not ideal, but as a last resort.

The Hayward is a Swimpro model 848M2A3A9, the lid is part #SP1515A, looks like there around $30. I cant view the image on the site, but the pre filter container is exactly what I need. Thank you! I already have some JB-Weld, so I'll try that to get by until the new part arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.