Newbie Questions

Jun 6, 2016
New York
Hi everyone, first time posting. Moved into a house with a 3 year old IG vinyl swg pool. It was already opened this season prior to us moving in. Water was very clear then all a sudden it got cloudy. After reading this site I decided to get a test kit. After testing (hopefully I did it right) I found there was no chlorine or cya in it, so I've been adding a gallon of bleach per day until I can get some stabilizer tomorrow. Water has gotten better but not crystal clear.
1 thing I noticed was after adding Clorox bleach 8% bubbles stayed on the surface. Is this normal?
I know this forum is founded on testing and numbers so should I wait until tomorrow to run tests since another gallon of bleach was added late this afternoon? I don't want that skewing numbers and pointing me in the wrong direction.
Please let me know what the next step should be.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You're doing right by adding a little bleach each day until you can post those test results. For the bubbles, was the bleach regular, or was it splashless or have any scents to it at all? You want to use just plain/regular bleach - generic is fine.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Could you please post the most recent test results you have? Adding a gallon of bleach per day will help prevent things from getting worse. When you get your stabilizer, put it in a clean sock or stocking leg, tie it closed and place it in the skimmer basket with the pump running. Give the sock a good squeeze every once in a while until all the CYA has dissolved out of the sock. Just add enough stabilizer to reach 20ppm to start. Since the pool is cloudy you will need to complete the SLAM process to get it clear again.

You can test at any time. The only time adding bleach affects test results is when you run an overnight test, and you don't need to do that at this point.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Could you please post the most recent test results you have? Adding a gallon of bleach per day will help prevent things from getting worse. When you get your stabilizer, put it in a clean sock or stocking leg, tie it closed and place it in the skimmer basket with the pump running. Give the sock a good squeeze every once in a while until all the CYA has dissolved out of the sock. Just add enough stabilizer to reach 20ppm to start. Since the pool is cloudy you will need to complete the SLAM process to get it clear again.

You can test at any time. The only time adding bleach affects test results is when you run an overnight test, and you don't need to do that at this point.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! As for the bleach I got, it's regular Clorox bleach 8%. Unscented and it wasn't splashless. It just looks like some suds on top of the water.
Below is my test results. I might have messed up the ch test a bit. First time jitters.

ph 7.8
Fc 2.5
Cc .5
Ch 450
Ta 150
Cya 0

Two days I think.
Hitnup the pool math calculator
it shows for
CYA 20
26k gallons
FC 2.5
300 oz of that bleach.
But I would go to CYA of 30 and shock at 12

read the cya chart in my signature.
Then hit pool math calculator.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, most walmarts carry 10.5% bleach for $2.50

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.