Sand in the system

NewDad

May 5, 2016
Denver, CO
Hi all! I've got a new-to-me Doughboy that's probably 15-20 years old, but with a new liner and a bunch of hose this spring (and some diligent testing and bleach-adding!) I've had great success so far, and just in time for the hot weather!

In addition to the new hose, I put a couple of old residential solar water heater panels in the system; after the sand filter it goes through the panels, gets a little warmer, and back into the return. It added about 1-2 psi to the system, no big deal -- I seem to run around 17 psi normally.

So after I topped 20 psi, I figured I'd backwash the sand filter -- I ran it about 10 minutes until it was clear. Then I neglected to run the rinse cycle after, just went straight back to the filter setting, and let it run. Didn't see any dirty water, so didn't worry.

Two days later I take off the cover and there's a plume of sand under the return. So I figure it was because I didn't rinse after backwash, so I stuck a stocking in my skimmer basket, vacuumed up the sand, and continued on.

Now every day I find another maybe 1/8th of a cup that's gathered under the return; I sock-up the skimmer basket and vacuum it up, but I'm starting to wonder if it's something else. We're on the fourth day of this happening now; I probably run the thing 6 hours or so a day, usually to maximize the solar gain through the panels. To be clear, it's a long run thanks to those panels -- 50 feet of 1.25" hose, plus two panels; is it possible the sand from my mistake is still clearing?

Well I've since backwashed again and rinsed for a good long while, it's continuing to spit about 1/8th of a cup of sand into the pool every day of running. I've set up yet another stocking, this time in front of the return, to catch the sand. Not a sustainable solution, however; eventually I'll be out of sand in the filter!

My thought was perhaps a damaged lateral -- then I see Doughboy's Media Master sand filter doesn't have laterals. I've no idea what to do next.

I will bypass the solar panels, they could be full of sand and maybe will be clogged, until you stop the issue, also I will open the sand filter, and wash the sand or replace it, hope other people can recommend you more... Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.