raising CYA levels

Sep 14, 2015
Plano/TX
So pool season started a month ago and I been adding chlorine but it's going away as fast I am adding it. First I thought I had algae problem then it rained for a week and i thought it was the rain. last week no rain, pool water looks clear and yet I keep adding chlorine every day. So i came here to remind me self of TFP and opps I forgot about CYA. this could be it. Anyways I haven't test the CYA levels yet but will do tomorrow morning. My questing is regarding raising CYA levels. What is the best way to do it so I stay within the recommended range 30-50. Also I had bought Chlorine pucks but never used them since someone told me that they contain a chemical that raises CYA levels. is this true? If so can I use the pucks to raise CYA or that is not recommended.

Thank you for you help.
Note: I will be reading the help section all over again as it looks like I forgot most of what I learned last year.

2nd pool season yet it feel like it's my first :(

If that pool gets a lot of sun-lean towards the 50 mark. I run mine between 50 and 60. It's already hot enough to where you just might wanna get some straight CYA from Walmart and get it in there. Adjust your FC levels accordingly.

Okay done the test and here is the result.

PH > 8.2 "did it at night with house light so I can be wrong"
CH 500
TA 150
CYA < 20

So my PH, CH and TA are high and CYA is low. I need to fix this. what is the best way to do it? I took a fast look at the pool calculator and looks like PH and TA are related/effect to each other so I still don't get it. CH value seem high, double the recommendation. and my CYA is very low, I saw the black dot just fine as I added the mixture.

What is the best way to fix the pool "steps" and I have bought last year a lot of Chlorine pucks but never used them as I was told they will increase the CYA levels which were good last summer, now that my levels are low I am thinking of using them and keep testing for CYA until maybe it reach 35-40 then stop using them. I live in Plano, TX and the pool under the sun from 10:00 to 11:00am until the sun goes down. "gets lots of sun"

Thank you for your help/feed back

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.