Bioguard dealer test results for ADJUSTED TOTAL ALKALINITY?

cehmtx

Jun 22, 2013
Bowling Green KY
My testing with TFP kit #TFP-100 shows TA of 100.

Bioguard dealer tests TA at 102 but then also shows ADJUSTED Total Alkalinity at 94. Dealer suggests adding 22.5 lbs of Balance Pak 100 to increase ADJUSTED TA to 125-150 ideal range.

Water is and has been crystal clear for 14 days with TFP kit readings staying consistent: free Cl = 4.0 (3 to 5); Total Cl = 4.5 (ranging 3.5 - 5.5); Ph = 7.5; TA = 100; CYA = 25.

What is ADJUSTED TA and do I really care if my TFP test kit shows TA in range of 100-120?

Hi, welcome to TFP! We don't worry about adjusted TA, just regular TA readings. Really the only reason to adjust TA is to stabilize fluctuating pH levels or drop it to around 70-90 as part of the strategy to prevent scale in extremely high calcium situations. Your TA of 94 or 100 is fine as long as the pH is stable. If you add 22.5 lbs of that really expensive baking soda in the Bioguard package your TA is going to jump up by 46ppm and it will raise pH by .09

Pool store advice and TFP advice are not very compatible most of the time. Trying to follow both may lead to undesirable results in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.