Pool filter/pump run time

Jun 10, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Like a lot of people on here I bought a new house and got a pool along with it. New to pools to learning as I go. I am waiting on my test kit to arrive so I can see the various numbers. I had the local pool shop check the numbers (i know they can be unreliable) and everything was good except for CYA which is a little high. Water is clear and haven't had any issues so far.

My question was on pump/filter run time. There was no timer on the pump (1 HP single speed Hayward). So when the electrician was here doing other work I had him install one. I saw the info about making sure the water turns over once a day so I started at 8 hours. Is there any problem with running the pump overnight? Where I am we have time of use electricity rates and the weekday rate from 7pm-7am is by far cheaper then other times during the day. Or should the pump be running when people will be using it the most?

There's a great article about run time here in Pool School:

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

With regards to when to run the pump, mine is currently set up to run in the afternoon to spread the warmer water around, stopping late in the day so I'm not cooling the pool at night. I run about 5 hours.

As soon as I can get more timer thingies for my timer wheel though, I plan to run for one hour first thing in the morning to skim off surface debris, one hour again around noon for the same purpose, and then maybe 3-4 hours in the late afternoon.

During the winter, since we don't really close here in AZ, I'll set most of my run time after midnight to help keep things from freezing on cold nights, with a little time scheduled during the day so I can add chems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.