Joliet, Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

Last year I had some problems weighing down the steps going into the pool water. I started off with the large zip-lock bags filled with sand. I had these bags open and leak on two separate occasions. Let me tell you this was a terrible mess. When lifting the "open" bags up and out of the pool it only made the mess worse. I will not use sand filled bags again.

I also bought some of the XX-large zip-lock bags and put some lifting weights into the bags. But both of these bags opened up (slightly) and let water in to rust the weights.

This year...I'm open to suggestions.

I'm thinking of filling some empty milk jugs with a concrete mix and seal the caps.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
dan

What about using the plastic coated weights- like the old cheaper weider ones they sell/sold at Sears. I think they just have concrete inside, so rust shouldn't be an issue. They would be a little bulkier though. I don't know if they still sell them in the stores, but I'll be you could find some at a garage sale.

I couldn't find any of those last year. I imagine garage sales may be the best place to look for them. But I don't want to be looking around for these, while the swimming season had started.

thanks,
dan

gonefishin
I used sandbags but wrapped them in 2 heavy duty garbage bags each tied off and then tied to the steps. No leaks or problem getting in or out of the pool. I used nylon line to secure and for the tie off. One other ideal is to put the sand in 3 inch PVC with the ends capped.
Steve

Dan,

I think your idea of milk jugs is perfect. To "manufacture" them easily, you can simply pour the dry quikcrete into the jug and then submerge the jug underwater in a 5 gal bucket ot some other container. The concrete will set up just fine in a day or so. You could then screw the cap back on and you'l have about a 10-12 lb weight with a handle....no corrosion issues, either,

great ideas!

We are going to order our steps any day here and the concrete in jugs thing AND the ropes on them are great ideas. Good to know before we start.

Waste, good suggestion about tying a rope onto the jugs. I can see that really coming in handy when it's time to close the pool.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.