Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: weighing down pool steps

1. Back To Top    #1

weighing down pool steps

Hi all,

Last year I had some problems weighing down the steps going into the pool water. I started off with the large zip-lock bags filled with sand. I had these bags open and leak on two separate occasions. Let me tell you this was a terrible mess. When lifting the "open" bags up and out of the pool it only made the mess worse. I will not use sand filled bags again.

I also bought some of the XX-large zip-lock bags and put some lifting weights into the bags. But both of these bags opened up (slightly) and let water in to rust the weights.

This year...I'm open to suggestions.

I'm thinking of filling some empty milk jugs with a concrete mix and seal the caps.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    What about using the plastic coated weights- like the old cheaper weider ones they sell/sold at Sears. I think they just have concrete inside, so rust shouldn't be an issue. They would be a little bulkier though. I don't know if they still sell them in the stores, but I'll be you could find some at a garage sale.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3
    I couldn't find any of those last year. I imagine garage sales may be the best place to look for them. But I don't want to be looking around for these, while the swimming season had started.

thanks,
    dan
    Aqua-Rite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

gonefishin
    I used sandbags but wrapped them in 2 heavy duty garbage bags each tied off and then tied to the steps. No leaks or problem getting in or out of the pool. I used nylon line to secure and for the tie off. One other ideal is to put the sand in 3 inch PVC with the ends capped.
    Steve
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Dan,

I think your idea of milk jugs is perfect. To "manufacture" them easily, you can simply pour the dry quikcrete into the jug and then submerge the jug underwater in a 5 gal bucket ot some other container. The concrete will set up just fine in a day or so. You could then screw the cap back on and you'l have about a 10-12 lb weight with a handle....no corrosion issues, either,
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gonfishin
    I'm thinking of filling some empty milk jugs with a concrete mix and seal the caps.
    A great way to recycle/reuse some of those bleach jugs...

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just a quick suggestion on the 'gal. jug' idea - tie a rope to the handle for easier removal come fall (I've 1/2 drowned myself a number of times trying to get the *&^$$* sand bags out of the steps), and placement in the spring.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

great ideas!

We are going to order our steps any day here and the concrete in jugs thing AND the ropes on them are great ideas. Good to know before we start.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Waste, good suggestion about tying a rope onto the jugs. I can see that really coming in handy when it's time to close the pool.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone

dan
    Aqua-Rite SWG