Pump Capacitor melted - What to replace?

KDFraz

May 15, 2014
md
I opened the pump to run my waterfall and spa jets, Sta-Rite with a #U27-1221 (C48J2PA105C1) motor, and noticed black melted plastic inside the cap and under the capacitor. Have anyone ever had this happen to them?

I recently replaced that capacitor and I'm sure I replaced it with the same specs as the original capacitor. I'm also sure that I connected the capacitor exactly how the old capacitor was connected. I'm guessing replacing the capacitor is the smart thing to do? Or should I be focusing on replacing the motor or pump? Should I be worried and immediately shut off the circuit or anything else?

You might have just gotten a bad capacitor. It happens. However, if there is a short in the start winding, that could also be a problem. Do you have a multi-meter? You can measure the resistance across the starter winding (without capacitor) to see if it is shorted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.