New to TFP site, trying to clear up water

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, az
I'm new to the site and did a bit of reading before this post. Currently I'm waiting for the TF-100 kit, should be here in 2-3 days now.
My pool is a large pool 38K gallons and is painted with an epoxy paint over a fiberglass/plaster mix. Using a suction side kreepy crawler style cleaner. Before this week I have been using pool store chemicals and advice on trying to keep the pool clear. Tons of $ spent in keeping the water clear and frustrated. I found this site and now I'm working at getting to a BBB method as described on this site. Very excited about it.
So I have these worthless test strips and a CL/PH water tester from the pool store that I have had for a while. I now know how useless they are as I have been trying to get a good read on where my water is and why I'm having so many algae break outs.
the test strips showed the CYA off the charts!! (my guess after reading here is because of the tabs that I have used in the past, and the stabilizer the pool store told me to put in the pool, argh!)

So while waiting for the TF-100 kit to get here, I felt I had no choice but to drain and refill the pool, which I did. At least I drained 80% of it and refilled it yesterday. Then I put in 5 gallons of 10% bleach. Checked the water with the kits that I do have and they show a lot of FC and CC, but these kits indicators max out at 10. My water here in AZ, even the tap water is a very high alkalinity, and the PH is reading about 7.6.

So finally to my question, sorry for the long winded intro, just new to the site; The water is cloudy and green tinted, I don't see any algae on the sides or attached anywhere, just the green tinted water.
How long should it take for the water to clear up with a high level of FC/CC in the pool. I wish I had better water readings but as I said the kits I currently have are junk. I think from reading here that the amount of 10% bleach I have put in over the last week, I guestimate the level to be up over 40, assuming my CYA is around 50 to 70 (just a guess). Should I continue to add bleach daily to keep the FC level up high? and if so for how long? Till the water is clear?

thanks for the help

Hi and welcome to TFP! :wave: Unfortunately, everything we say now is a complete guess until your TF-100 arrives. No worries though, once it does, you'll see right away why it was so important to order it. For now, simply add 1 gallon of regular bleach to the water each evening - generic is fine. Don't' worry about any levels right now or try to adjust anything based on those strips. Just add that bleach each night and we'll go from there. Nice to have you with us.

I'm guessing that i didn't drain enough water the first time when the cya was reading of the charts. I think i got about 5/8 of the water out last time, so i started draining some more, got about half out last night and the pool currently filling back up.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

How comfortable are you with your CYA reading? Did you dilute the pool water sample to arrive at 120? With an 80% refill and still as high as 120 is crazy. Crazy like your previous CYA level was well over 500 ppm!

That being said the pool looks pretty good and the rest of numbers are livable. It seems most AZ fight high CH and TA is high, but certainly manageable. Is it possible to retest CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, we cross posted there. Good plan, that CYA would be difficult to manage. A 5/8 (~60%) drain last time a previous CYA of 200-250 is feasible. This is definite downside of a large pool, I feel for you but your doing the right thing I think.

Thanks,, I'm hoping the cya comes in good after this refill. The pool store had previously had me add a whole bottle of stabilizer and i think it went really high. Probably why i was having so many problems,, after reading here a lot of thinks made sense.
I tested the hose water, for practice with this tf100 kit. As well as curiosity, ? and the fill water is:
TA=120
CH=300
PH=7.8
FC=1
Cc=0.5

Ok after the 2nd drain and refill, the water came in at:
PH= 8.2
FC= 25 (using 5ml sample method)
CC= 0
CH= 400
TA= 120
CYA= 80-90
The pool finished filling last night and after these readings I added 3 gallons of 10% bleach to bring the FC up to shock level.
This morning I took readings and got the following:
PH= 8.2
FC=34
CC= 0.5 to 1.0 (using 5ml sample method)
CH= 375
TA= 160-170
CYA= 70-90

The water is cloudy now, no green tint or visible algae, the mustard algae looks to be gone as well. The pool is painted epoxy so the mustard never actually sticks to the side but sits in the pool like dust on the bottom and in the morning I had previously seen some on the steps and the love seat. Now the water is just cloudy.
Is this dead algae?
Do I need to drop the PH now? it seems like the PH test is maxed out at 8.2 so I'm not sure if it is really at 8.2 or just at the max of my test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2c7ceb2a13971d068b6005a7fe6c54b8.jpg
after following the method here i have my pool back in shape. My cya level is still a little high at 100, but following the cya to fc rule my pool is looking great. Thanks for all the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.