Brand New Pump Motor Seizing

jmon22

Jun 10, 2012
Just replaced the UST1072 motor on my Hayward Superpump a little over a week ago with a new Century unit and it is already seizing periodically when it turns back on after being off. Happened twice so far out of ~10 times being turned off in total. Does not trip the breaker, but buzzes for a few moments then shuts itself off (similar to what the old completely seized motor sounded like). After about 2-3 minutes it will turn back on like nothing happened. Works perfectly fine when in use.

Any idea what is happening other than being sent a dud pump? Thought I would check with the experts here before sending it back for a replacement.

Thanks!!

Had been running fine for the past 2+ months, would act up every once in a while but nothing I couldn't manage. Now had to have it off for two days and it won't come back up. Just buzzes and overheats. Impeller seems to be spinning pretty freely. Seems a bit further back than I remember (is it possible for it to come out of place?). Is it possible this just came with a bad start cap?

If things are spinning freely and it just sit there and buzzes that does point to a capacitor.

I figured it out. Terrible explanation but I'll try my best- Was toying around when I first installed and knocked the metal spring piece out of whack. It would not fully extend and touch the starter switch? so it couldn't kick in to gear. Every time I manually extend that piece so it is touching it starts now. Just need to figure out how to fix so I don't need to jimmy it each time.

Appreciate the support!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.