New Owner - TFPC Method

Jun 10, 2016
Prosper, Texas
Just became the owner of a beautiful 27k gal pool that's less than a year old & have been lurking on here for a while. Took a pool school at my house and the guy had me shocking the pool once a week with a non-chlorine shock left over from the previous owner (he didn't read the label well). Long story short is that I have been freaking out about the FC levels that just wouldn't come up. But they're coming around now that I've educated myself, mostly thanks to this site. I am using the TFPC method now, so thank you.

On to my question, I am bought into the method but thinking ahead, we are a family that likes to do a moderate amount of traveling. The only downside I've seen with the method is that it is slightly less convenient than the 'pool school' guy's directions: Drop a few tri-chlor pucks in the auto-chlorinator once a week to maintain and shock with Dichlor as necessary. My thought process is if we are going out of town for >3 days, to drop in a few tri-chlor pucks to essentially maintain FC. Thoughts on this clear violation of the method?

fire away

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Using pucks while you're away is one of the few times we actually recommend their use, while at the same time remaining vigilant about your current CYA level since pucks add stabilizer. But for a short time away, relying on your in-line chlorinator is fine. If over time you find that manual chlorination does not match-up with your lifestyle at home (or away more often), you can always look into a SWG or liquid dispensing system at some point down the road.

Or use my automated system ... I pay the neighbor kid to pour a 1/2 gallon of bleach in pool each evening. :) Great to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.