relay to valve actuator

Mario P

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2014
Rio Rancho, NM
I'm toying with options to run the valve actuator thru the relay.

Pentair IntelliTouch i5, i7 and even the i9, only support 3 valves on board. 1 of them is reserved for pump operation. Since I'm using IntelliFlow pump, that output is not used.

With the expansion module, I got to use 3 more valves.

I need to add another valve and Pentair T/S tells me to purchase another cabinet called (Pentair 521225 IntelliTouch i5x Expansion Kit), which is not going to happen due to cost.

I do have all those relays (Aux1-8) that are not being used.

Question is, does anyone know of a kit to convert relay wiring to valve actuator, or wiring splice kit to run the valve actuator thru a relay?

I can figure this out, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if existing solution --outside of the x5-- is available.

Mario,

I think you will find that the standard Aux relays are SPST and to do what you want, you will need a SPDT relay. I used an additional 120v to 24 v transformer and the Pentair 2-speed relay to do what you want to do. You could use any SPDT relay, but I chose the Pentair 2-speed relay, which costs about $100, just because it is designed to bolt right into the existing relay slots and comes with the coil wire and plug already attached. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a crude schematic.

Jim R.

Mario,

I think you will find that the standard Aux relays are SPST and to do what you want, you will need a SPDT relay. I used an additional 120v to 24 v transformer and the Pentair 2-speed relay to do what you want to do. You could use any SPDT relay, but I chose the Pentair 2-speed relay, which costs about $100, just because it is designed to bolt right into the existing relay slots and comes with the coil wire and plug already attached. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a crude schematic.

Jim R.

Jim, thanks for responding so quickly.

I agree that SPDT will be the best solution.

Do you know if/where I can get the 2 pin connector from the relay harness?
I'm going to use DIN connector and use SPDT and drive my valve actuators that way.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking for this connector (male)

2016-06-10 12.52.13.jpg

Reactions: JsVil
I don't, but someone here posted the P/N for the red connector a month or two ago. Sorry, but I don't remember who made that post.

I assume your pool is not a saltwater pool with a SWG... Is this correct?

This 20 cent plug is just one reason I went with the Pentair 2-speed relay, that and I wanted my modification to look like it like it was supposed to be there..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.